Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Windshield wipers stall engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 09:35 AM

Unhappy Windshield wipers stall engine

I purchased my 2.2L AUTOMATIC 2010 Chevy HHR a month ago. After a week of driving it the engine light came on and the brake pads on the car were worn down. I took it back to my dealer where they fixed the brakes. The engine light was off but soon came back on. I got the oil changed and they said the engine light code was P0172, low 02 levels. I brought it back to the dealer and brought his attention to the duct tape on the air intake hose. He suggested a new air filter. Next morning I started the car and it didn't start, second time it started but would soon putter out. Third time it started. I drove it, got a new air filter, and soon after I was driving it when it started to putter and delay like there wasn't fuel getting to the engine. I would turn it off then on and it was trying to stay on but couldn't. The need service light went on. I drove it home. It would accelerate up to 40 then slowly drop to 15. The first shop I had it towed to said it had a bunch of codes and that I needed a whole new computer. I had it towed to the dealer's car guy and they said once the air intake hose was changed most of the codes cleared. They emptied the gas tank saying the flex fuel, even though it is a flex fuel car, is no good for it. Now they say when you turn the windshield wipers on the car stalls. I haven't even paid my first car payment. I'm very worried. Can anyone help?
Old 06-07-2016, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

What is the mileage on the vehicle? What are the current codes?

I am not aware of a correlation between the engine light coming on, and brake pads being worn.

It's starting to look like a money-pit unfortunately. If you bought it from a dealer, unless it was a "as is" purchase, I'd return it and demand your money back.

For the P0172 code - there can be several possible causes - check this thread:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...hol-%25-55903/ Some causes are cheap/easy, but some are very pricey.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:35 AM

It has 87,000 miles on it. I'm not sure what the current codes are now. The dealer's car shop has it. The problem isn't the brake pads as much as it still just not starting. Ya I'm worried that might be what's happening too.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the mileage update.

re brake pads: what I was saying is that you were indicating that the worn brake pads and the engine code were related - whereas there is no engine code that refers to brake pads being worn. So they replaced the brake pads, but what did they do about the error code?

without knowing the current codes are, there isn't much advice anyone can give.

I'll move this thread to the problem section rather than the Performance section.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, the P0172 code could also be the MAF sensor is dirty, per

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0172

I think you are not being told the true story because the guy just doesn't know what he's talking about!
These little trucklets are pretty dependable and usually easy to fix!

It could be as simple as they forgot to reconnect the MAF sensor connection!
Old 06-07-2016, 11:08 AM

Yeah I hardly doubt that the issues is that it "needs a new computer." Start with the simplest solutions then move on from there! Like oldblue said, check the MAF! These cars are very reliable and also very easy/cheap to fix, in general. I know you have been to alot of places but maybe find a new mechanic.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:34 PM

OK, hard start and P0172, sound familiar?

Whoever interpreted what P0172 means is totally inaccurate. It means "too little air" in the air/fuel mixture is sensed by the #1 O2 sensor. The only way the computer has of adjusting the mixture is changing the amount of fuel, the driver controls the air. The condition might be caused by sensors giving bad readings.

The air intake hose should not have anything to do with it.

Needing a new computer is incredibly rare.

If the Wipers started stalling the car after they worked on it, they caused that condition.

Here is my guess: bad fuel pump assembly, or the EVAP purge valve (under the hood) has gone bad looking to the computer like a vacuum leak.

Has anybody thought to check the fuel pressure?

I think you may have found a bunch of dummies for technicians. By "dealer" I assume you mean the car lot that sold you the car. The techs that work for those lots are generally idiots that couldn't work anywhere else.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:15 PM

( think you may have found a bunch of dummies for technicians. By "dealer" I assume you mean the car lot that sold you the car. The techs that work for those lots are generally idiots that couldn't work anywhere else.)

X-2

Amen ....
Old 06-07-2016, 03:17 PM

Thank you everyone for the awesome advise. I agree I believe it is something to do with the fuel pump. These guys have had my car for almost two weeks which is too long to not have any idea what is wrong. I will be asking them about that today. I'll update with more information.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:21 PM
Administrator

It could also be related to the infamous dead battery! Like they listened to your radio while they were busy working in some other car! and drained your battery, but I'm sticking with MAF sensor

Quick Reply: Windshield wipers stall engine