Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Wobble and knocking in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:32 AM

Wobble and knocking in steering wheel

Good morning to all, I have a problem with my 06 LT that maybe someone here can shed some light on it. I know I've been in need of an alignment for some time now and of course, the one week I decide I'm going to take it in, it starts giving me issues two days before hand. This started yesterday, I noticed when I am in low speed, under 20mph, the steering wheel pulls itself left and right like if one of the wheels is wobbling. Once I go past about 20mph, the wobbling calms down a bit but doesn't fully go away and I start getting a clicking/knocking sound coming from the front end around the steering column. I want to finally get the alignment this weekend but now i fear there is a bigger problem at hand that I will have to get resolved prior to. Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-11-2015, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Sounds like lower control arm bushings have given up, and possibly the intermediate steering shaft .
There could be other supporting parts adding to the mix, like sway bar end links and bushings, tie rod ends and ball joints
Old 06-11-2015, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

You don't state your cars mileage, but as Oldblue said said, check everything. It could just be worn parts from age/mileage.

This caught my eye in your post:
"I noticed when I am in low speed, under 20mph, the steering wheel pulls itself left and right like if one of the wheels is wobbling."
That description to me sounds like a bad or separated tire.

FWIW. I pulled up one of your old threads regarding you having Soltice rims and a rubbing issue. Could this problem be related to that ? Not sure because you didn't follow up that old thread and tell us what you found.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

x2 - looks like it needs a full inspection of the front end BEFORE even venturing into getting the alignment. Speak to the alignment shop and see if they are equipped to do the inspection beforehand.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:26 AM

Thanks to all for the advice. I'll check some stuff out tonight. It has around 150,000 miles on it. May be time for a checkup
Old 06-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Administrator

150,000 miles past time for LCA bushings, struts, shocks, sway bar links, sway bar bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends. plus the intermediate shaft, based on historical posts and threads on this site.
That being said, some of these parts you most likely replaced, but have a close look at the motor and trans mounts to.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:21 PM

Be sure to be just as communicative with your alignment technician; so he won't have a clue what to look for either.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:58 PM

An update on my situation. I got home and jacked the whole front end up and started looking at the points you guys mentioned and realized just how fun my weekend plans got!!! WooHoo for me! The rubber on both the control arm bushing and lower tie rod rubbers are shot so those are parts that I will be ordering tomorrow, none look like they'll go out in the immediate future but definitely inevitably have to be replaced sooner than later. As I was about to call it a day, just for s#!ts and giggles, I turned the car on and put it on drive to see how everything moves and before I even made it out of the drivers seat, my axle made it known that it too wished to be replaced. It was clicking pretty loudly and was shaking/wobbling so much I thought it was having a seizure. So, three things that will fill me with joy this weekend in the 90 degree Texas heat. Thanks to all of you for steering me in the right direction. (Get it "steering") LOL. Ok, either I'm tired or drunk so it's time for bed. Thanks again guys. I'll update on the status once the parts have been replaced!
Old 06-11-2015, 11:11 PM

It's crazy how the control arm is $138 at my local parts store but $38 on Ebay!!!
Old 06-12-2015, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

The axle noise I believe is normal if you had the wheels/axle at full droop, with the car supported by the frame.

Quick Reply: Wobble and knocking in steering wheel