Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

won't move.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 06:22 AM

won't move.....

This morning I was on my way in to work. Got it, fired it up, put it in reverse, dropped the e-brake and...... wouldn't move. Looked down and the e-brake was indeed down. So I tried again. I could feel the back end raising up, but no move again. So I pulled up on the e-brake and got out to see if something had gotten behind a tire. Nothing. So I got back in and tried again. Nothing. So I decieded to give it one last attempt, let the clutch out more and more, trying to not break the front tires loose on the wet driveway and then it released. I hit the brake, pushed the clutch back in and let it roll. It did, so I figured it was all good to go on.

Temp was about 48*, it was 5:30 am. It had been raining for the past 3 days, so I'm guessing a little rust set in overnight. I parked it the evening before about 5pm from work. I know it didn't get below freezing last night.

This ever happened to anyone else? Ideas on what may have happened? Seems to be ok now.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:29 AM

Shoes got stuck, or your parking brake cable won't release if there's rust in it. I would check if the wheel gets warm after a drive.

It's a common problem with Elantra (my former car); water can get in the cable where it rusts or freezes there, and the parking brake is stuck on.

Yves
Old 03-17-2009, 06:32 AM

Yup sounds like parking brake was stuck. Had that happen in an old car of mine and it was a bad emergency-brake cable.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:15 AM

I'll have to see if it does it again. This was a first. I've seen it happen before when I lived in the PNW during the winter. But I would imagine it would be a "can not duplicate" if I took it in and it never did it again.....
Old 03-17-2009, 10:54 PM

I have had it happen two times now. it seems to happen in rainy weather after my car sits out side over night. I beleve the shoes have a high metal content and rust to the drums after setting for a time.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:05 AM

Well, no issues today. Guessing it was the 3 days of rain that just stuck the shoes to the drums.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:47 AM

I have an SS but have noticed a loud "crack" when I have after it has sat for a long time, but never stuck that bad. I also believed the pads where sticking to the disk, could be a similar issue?
Does anyone know if the regular service pads are used on the parking brake on the drum set-up?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:14 PM

im not sure what exactly you are asking but just playing around with the drums off the ebrake uses the shoes on the drums. i assume this is what you mean by regular service pads.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:34 PM

One day I went out to my HHR (one day it was really cold) and I had washed it the night before. Thought I had dried it good, but I guess the tires were still wet. They were literally frozen to the driveway!

Took me a couple minutes to figure out why it wasn't moving! Gave it some gas, and it broke free.

I doubt that's your issue though, since it isn't that cold to freeze!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
This morning I was on my way in to work. Got it, fired it up, put it in reverse, dropped the e-brake and...... wouldn't move. Looked down and the e-brake was indeed down. So I tried again. I could feel the back end raising up, but no move again. So I pulled up on the e-brake and got out to see if something had gotten behind a tire. Nothing. So I got back in and tried again. Nothing. So I decieded to give it one last attempt, let the clutch out more and more, trying to not break the front tires loose on the wet driveway and then it released. I hit the brake, pushed the clutch back in and let it roll. It did, so I figured it was all good to go on.

Temp was about 48*, it was 5:30 am. It had been raining for the past 3 days, so I'm guessing a little rust set in overnight. I parked it the evening before about 5pm from work. I know it didn't get below freezing last night.

This ever happened to anyone else? Ideas on what may have happened? Seems to be ok now.
Have had a p/u truck brakes seize - pistons - after leaving it sit for a long time. Typically I wash it first then park it.

Now, if I know the vehicle will sit for a while and the brakes are wet, I drive with the brakes on for the last bit to get them hot enough to dry off.

Just an idea!

Quick Reply: won't move.....