Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Would it be called surging?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:07 PM

Well, the dealer has it again today, as they left a bunch of things disconnected under the hood. I was under there looking to see if the a/c condensate drain was blocked. (2 days in a row it dumped a couple of quarts of ice cold water on the passenger side floorboard. Fortunately, I have Husky liners installed.) I now have a leak in the seal on the right driveshaft. They are still waiting on the customer to bring in this other H so they can test drive it. (Insert roll eyes smiley face.)
Old 04-21-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pretzel
Here is the 27sec Video I posted on Youtube. Watch the RMP gauge. Speed steady at 45mph.
Dose this look like your problem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAswbYu_O80
Looks kind of like my problem.

See my thread here:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/hhr-ss-shop-again-34556/

The RPM gauge does that as well as the boost gauge even when sometimes in park and idle.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:44 AM

Hey, Bob.

I read your thread. I do not have a turbo, nor do I really notice any loss of power. For me, it's just the surging which rocks the car back and forward as the tach swings (sometimes) 500 RPM. There are instances that it is severe enough that I think I'm going to get whiplash.

It is about time for me to call Larry or Dustin (yes, we are getting to be good buds) to see if they have any new insights.

Bret
Old 04-27-2011, 08:08 AM

It is a software issue in the adaptive strategy of the PCM/TCM. Until they come up with a decent rewrite to address it, it can be cleared up in most cases by resetting the TAP(transmission adaptive pressure) Cells(parameters) to "zero"/base/centerpoint values(not really zero since they range from 4-16).
This cleared up the bounce from my '08 2.2 for about 20K miles but it is returning again. It can be done with a TechII diagnostic tool and with "some" generic ones. When we had ours done it made the converter lock sooner and stay locked with more app(throttle). It helped our rural/urban mixed commute mileage by almost 2 MPG and made the converter/transmission much more stable/pleasant. My wife and I are moderate to average drivers when it comes to driving style. Some report that if they "thrash" the throttle for a day or two that it builds higher pressure adaptive strategy and gets better for a while....doesn't help you MPG though!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:46 PM

Welcome to the forum, Tech.

I'll take your comment over to the boys when I go in on Monday to have a transmission seal replaced. (I know they hate to have suggestions given to them by someone other than their factory, but they've seemed to run out of ideas.)
Old 04-28-2011, 06:04 PM

Ref my post #34

Today I tried a new Mass Air Flow Sensor and a Throttlebody (they were dirt cheap) still the same

Id Like to try a TCM but the dealer needs a TechII scanner for that.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:10 PM

After watching the video I still think it has to have something to do with the lock up converter. It did its thing right at the speed where the lock up happens.

Can't tell you why or what but it is just odd it is at that speed it happened.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:17 AM

Thumbs up

And the gold cup goes to...

Textech!

I've done two of the 35 mile trips between work and home now and the surging seems to be gone. I think the converter stays locked longer, too, when I decelerate. I like this, as it provides better engine braking. (I just need to let off the gas pedal slowly.) Even the up shift when I come down the steep hill was smoother.

The service managers tell me they think it will revert back after time, which leads to another question. Once my warranty runs out, will I need to pay to have this done again when the computer programming fix is lost? I can't see GM coming back and fixing the program for a car now 3 model years old.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:56 PM

YEAH! ITS FINALLY FIXED!!!

I too took my Panel to the dealer today after reading your post with the instructions.

The mechanic already knew how to reprogram the TAP with the TechII scanner and the problem with the RPM so I had little explaining to do.

1 min later and a charge of $50 its good to go!

It does seem tighter wich I like :)

Thank you everyone and especially Jazzdad and Textech.

Craig~
Old 05-04-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nurseman27
If you figure this out let me know the out come my 08 with the 2.2 is doing the exact same thing dealer said its normal ( NOT) my theory tork converter going bad any thoughts let me know this is weird how exact your issue is to mine
I got a dealer buy back on the 08 and now have a 11 and the 11 dose not do it at all i tryed to make it do it with the cruse set at the same range 30 to 35 i only have 2,800 miles on it though

Quick Reply: Would it be called surging?