Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

blackout vs. cobalt ss/sc

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by mightymouse
sort f cokey...sort of... got it for the punk kid that thinks his turbo civic is a racecar. or the sti-wrx that think they are fast lol!! with all bolt on with tune,the ss should be well over 300whp. i'm guessing at least 325. i will have all bolt ons. just waiting for hahn and magnaflow...
the general concensus around here seems to think that with the tune and the bolt-ons we will have available, we are looking at probably right around 300whp. i don't see these hitting 325 realistically just off of intake, exhaust, HRC tune, and maybe the HRC IC and piping upgrade. power gains are not linear, as has been discussed many times on the boards (mostly in the 2.0 performance board) so that 13hp gain from the new CGS intake and the (for example) 11hp gain from my ADM cat-back, doesn't mean a 24hp gain, it will actually be more like 18-20hp, tops.

oh, and the STis can think they're fast all they want...cuz they are i have a few friends with them, and i'd need the HRC tuner to have a chance at keeping up with them. now a WRX, we could probably keep up with stock, but they'd outlaunch us more than likely (dang AWD)
Old 09-02-2008, 09:16 PM

oh, and the STis can think they're fast all they want...cuz they are i have a few friends with them, and i'd need the HRC tuner to have a chance at keeping up with them. now a WRX, we could probably keep up with stock, but they'd outlaunch us more than likely (dang AWD)
Have you lined up with them, or is this your butt dyno talking? From a low roll with a good launch, I think it would be a good run with an STi. My N/A Sentra (~200whp) ate stock WRX's, so with the SS being up quite a few hp over my Sentra, I don't think the STi will pull away like you think it might. Stock, anyway. AWD drivetrain losses suck.

Originally Posted by tomw
Once again.......Sreet Racing is ILLEGAL!! and DANGEROUS.......
Please don't brag about it!!
As is talking on your cell phone while driving in certain areas. But I bet you do it anyway.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:16 PM

well, judging by the 1/4 mile times i've seen SS owners post up on here, vs the time slips i've seen from my friends, a stock SS with the HRC tune is about on par to be a good matchup with a stock STi, it would likely come down to driver skill. stock, we're right about the speed of a WRX. i just did a quick search across a couple forums to see what some people were seeing for stock 1/4 mile times in a WRX, and if you have a dang good driver, making a great launch, you can break into the high 13s with superb track conditions. but for the most part it seems WRXs tend to sit around mid to higher 14s, right about what an SS can pull.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:56 PM

I wasn't referring to digs; I was referring to roll races. You're right about 1/4 mile times, but the people I roll with here tend to emphasize 60-130 runs alot more, even at the 1/4 mile track. That way you're doing more to compare the cars than the drivers.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:52 AM

oh, well if you're going from a roll, i really couldn't say much. everyone i know that does any kind of racing (including myself) would prefer to prove themselves and their car by launching it well too. i see it as this, a car can only be as fast as it's driver lets it be. yes going from a roll does show more car vs car without driver mistakes playing much of a factor, but the way a car is capable of launching plays a big part in how fast it is too. if you have two drivers of equal skill, you'll find the same results as my previous post.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Yonash
oh, well if you're going from a roll, i really couldn't say much. everyone i know that does any kind of racing (including myself) would prefer to prove themselves and their car by launching it well too. i see it as this, a car can only be as fast as it's driver lets it be. yes going from a roll does show more car vs car without driver mistakes playing much of a factor, but the way a car is capable of launching plays a big part in how fast it is too. if you have two drivers of equal skill, you'll find the same results as my previous post.
I agree with your conclusions, for the most part, although the quarter mile determines who is quickest, not who is fastest. The other issue I have with digs is wear and tear. That's why alot of the big boys around here won't do it. Still another issue is that a car setup for drag (digs) won't do well anywhere else do to the specific suspension setup. I prefer an all-around performer.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:48 PM

oh i agree completely, i prefer an all-around performer as well. but in this thread, at least i have been talking about a straight line race, which i'm assuming was what the OP was talking about, seeing as how anything in town racing around corners and stuff on city streets is a great way to get hurt and to tear up your car. with straight-line racing, part of the skill required to be good at it is the launch. with track racing, ie circuit tracks, the launch isn't so important.

i think we've kinda lost track of what was going on here haha. we've gotten so far OT now i don't think we can bring it back lol. bottom line, straight line racing, from a dig, for those results between WRX/STi and the SS, see my post a couple back, that is pretty accurate. racing from a roll, i'm not the one to ask, i don't race from a roll. on a circuit...forget it lol, an STi would eat us alive haha. though it might be pretty good between an SS and a WRX around a track. between the drivetrain loss of an AWD vs FWD, and our extra weight, it would probably be a good race, stock vs stock. of course, get a Cobalt SS/TC, and it would be a bit meaner of a race lol.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:22 AM

Tell ya what, I am impressed with the stage one! I took a SC cobalt and walked away from him. He had two people in his car, I had 5 as we were on our way to the bar. We were at 65 and ran to 90 and was pulling from him the entire time. I was shocked. I used to think my Old SS/SC was a quick little car. I guess I was wrong LOL.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:38 AM

Yeah, that's always fun to do on the way to the bar.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:13 PM

whoa!!! didn't read this old thread till now. well,obviously ANY awd car will own us from a dig. about half the rwd cars own us from a dig. period. like aaron said,what's the point for us going from a dig??? to take rubber off expensive tires??? shocking the hell out of the drivetrain??? going from rolls are easier on the car. I OWN AWD CARS FROM ROLLS!!!PERIOD!!! unless they are highly modified,they are toast. i consider highly modified-turbo upgrade,internal motor work,etc... bolt on for bolt on,the ss should own a sti/evo from a roll. if you don't,then you must have an auto or can't drive. stock to the wheels all three cars put down around the same amont of hp(not talking about the new evo's.they are still slugs because of weight) going bolt on for bolt on i feel we have the advantage because we don't have the heavy drivetrain like awd cars do. the only fair race is fwd vs fwd. where both cars are spinning lol. funny thing is,i have yet to race a skittle(srt)lol.

the new wrx is really close to us. the old ones are a joke.

Quick Reply: blackout vs. cobalt ss/sc