Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

SCCA RallyCross Engine Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 01:12 PM

SCCA RallyCross Engine Ideas

I did the search for 'swap', 'engine swap', and found a few things but usually 2.2 vs 2.4 swap on these forums. So I'm trying to get some ideas about a modified SCCA HHR where I can swap into a larger engine with more horse power, more displacement, yet with modifications to get it to fit inside the engine compartment. The perfect swap of course would be a GM salvage engine that would bolt right in. I doubt there is such a culprit. I don't really want to do a major swap like a V-8 or V-6, but rather keep it a 4 cyl. and front wheel drive. I drive a '08 panel with a 2.4, but I have another '06 HHR window with a 2.4/auto that I'm getting together ideas on. Can any of you HHR gurus help me? Surely you all have seen questions like this or have even thought of it yourself?
Old 05-28-2019, 01:50 PM

The only engine swap I've thought of involve V8 and rear wheel drive...

I don't recall anybody on the forum talking about what you have in mind.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:57 PM

Thank you Greybeard as I was not sure if I had missed it and was double posting a previous question.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, this guy did an awesome job , V8 in a panel.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...r-build-48646/

then some one have contacted ZZP , Hahn , Powell and others.

you might consider an Eaton M62 supercharger kit
you might lean towards a turbo kit.
If your going faster don’t over look the brakes , these are a possibility

https://zzperformance.com/collections/ecotec
Old 05-29-2019, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

I always wondered if a 3.5 out of a Malibu would fit.
That would be a blast and or a handful.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

OK. Someone has to say it. Get a HHR SS.
Almost 100 more hp than a stock 2.4. Plus the SS has the better suspension and brakes.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

x2 what FMG says.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:00 AM

Rallycross is predominantly off road racing, Not sure the SS suspension is set up that way so what improvements it has over FE3 would be replaced anyways. (as would FE3)
Old 05-29-2019, 05:55 PM

It is. SS has lower ride height. And, turbo lag could become troublesome as well.

That said, I believe you are fenced into "any Ecotec" - because of packaging. Choices are not great. For an NA engine to be much better than the LE5 you have, you could look at an LCV (some 2013 Malibus had it. It was also in ATS and Colorado/Canyon). It has about 25 ft-lbs more torque. The DI 2.4 (LAF) only has 7 more ft-lbs than yours. The turbos are more work. but the LNF adds 95 ft-lbs of torque stock. The LDK is roughly the same as LNF. I use torque to compare, because that is what you will want.

I probably wouldn't do any of these, but if I were on unlimited budget... I would buy an SS and lift it, put some skid plates on, and call it marvelous.

I ran one event with the local Subaru mafia and I really can't say I would want anything that wasn't AWD. The NA 2.5 Subie has a very good spot in being lower-priced (than WRX and STi), but still having that AWD. I was an autocross champion in a Saabaru with the same drivetrain (92x Linear), so I knew what it it could do. It's fun. You don't usually break stuff.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:28 AM

Thank you very much for the replies as it was deeply appreciated. The V-8 and the SS ideas are always what comes to mind first, but I was looking for an inexpensive way to drop horsepower in without a ton of modifications and to also use my existing 06 HHR. So I went out to a pick-a-part type salvage yard to look at their 6 HHR's and some other GM cars with front wheel drive and either 4 cylinders or even V-6. Some were missing the engines of course but that allowed me to take measurements between the engine mounts and engine compartment areas for clearance. It is a lot to consider but its a project for me and I have a lot of research to do yet. Lonwane has the right idea of it with a Malibu 3.5. I'll have to check that out as well. 'Blue SS' thank you sir. I did find an in depth article on the 2.5 LCV but have not had time to read it all yet. That would be a great improvement. GM 2.5 Liter I4 Ecotec LCV Engine Info, Power, Specs, Wiki | GM Authority

Quick Reply: SCCA RallyCross Engine Ideas