Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Street Racing........

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:34 PM

Street Racing........

Street Racing is ILLEGAL!! and DANGEROUS.......
Is anybody else but me bothered by folks bragging about Breaking the Law and creating Dangerous situations on the street!
Earlier this year here in Maryland 8 People were KILLED watching an Illegal Street race!

Last edited by tomw; 08-20-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:52 PM

I'm a believer that there is a place and time for everything. Racing should be kept off the streets. Ontario Canada has implemented street racing laws where by if you are caught your vehicle is seized (up to a week) and your license is automatically suspended and a minimum fine of $2,000 is given.

It's always terrible to hear about accidents in which innocent people are killed by others who are raising. The streets should be safe for everyone because we all need to get around. I couldn't care less if the street racers wrapped their cars around telephone poles and died but to endanger anyone else that might happen to cross paths is just stupid.

If you can't afford, or don't have the time, to take it to the track then your high horsepower car is really pretty useless.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:51 PM

I street race every day....from 0 mph to 55 mph.......or whatever the posted speed limit is. And yes YOU SHOULD TAKE IT TO THE TRACK!!!!!!!! Ain't no disclaimers on a public highway!
Old 08-19-2008, 02:08 PM

It's rude and selfish.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:12 PM

People do stuff everyday that is illegal, dangerous, and/or creates a safety hazard for others. Texting while driving, talking on cell phones, reaching in the back to hand something to the kids, etc., etc., etc. I guess what I mean to say is - street racing, like many other things, does indeed create hazards, but it ain't gonna stop anytime soon. Sure, people don't brag about doing the things mentioned above, much less driving while impaired, but it certainly is going to continue as long as we all have cars..........
Old 08-19-2008, 04:39 PM

PhxHHR, you are right that there will always be some sort of hazard on the roads. Until we get automated cars that drive us around instead of us having to drive them around there will always be accidents. I can't wait for the day when my car can drive me home after I've had a few drinks with my buddies.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:12 AM

Damn I was going to post a Kill story but I changed my mind. LOL
Old 08-20-2008, 08:25 AM

I don't 100 % approve of street racing either, I think it's dangerous, but I agree it's not going away and I've been guilty of playing around at stop lights and on the interstate.

A different slant of the situation is the destruction of good places to go and race. Around here I have watched one great drag strip get shut down and sold because of another housing development we don't need and now it's rumored the second and last local track will be sold and closed for a landfill. Next closest place to race is 100 miles aways. It angers me that people want to stop illegal racing but won't give us a place to do it legally.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:41 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by k5hart
A different slant of the situation is the destruction of good places to go and race. Around here I have watched one great drag strip get shut down and sold because of another housing development we don't need and now it's rumored the second and last local track will be sold and closed for a landfill. Next closest place to race is 100 miles aways. It angers me that people want to stop illegal racing but won't give us a place to do it legally.
The same happened here in the Dade/Broward county area. The strip had been there for many years. It was basically in the middle of nowhere, but easily accesable for all that wanted to go. Then new housing developments surrounded it and all the new neighbors (who knew what they were moving into next to) all cried out for it to be closed , and the politcians all caved to their whinning . That left the next closest track over 100 miles away!!
Old 08-20-2008, 10:39 AM

Here in San Diego they have a police-sponsored race event that is held in the parking lot of Qualcomm Stadium, but it is only an 1/8mi track. On top of that it is only 1 or 2 Friday nights a month. People like myself who are working nights don't even get the chance to utilize it. Then to top it off, just this last week or 2 ago it is being claimed that the police set up a sting outside the stadium parking lot pulling every modified car over that was leaving the stadium or just driving by looking for illegal modifications. Now a lot of people don't even want to go, and they were crying for a long time to get more people out there to keep it running.

And, lastly, everyone has their opinion, but slamming someone every time they post a "kill" or race story is just lame and uncalled for. No one criticizes you on the way you drive, I don't think it's right you do the same to anyone else.

Quick Reply: Street Racing........