General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR LS Swap Rat Rod

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Dirt, asphalt, it didn’t matter. We ran the big block modified dirt car converted it for asphalt on the track at Cayuga Ontario in 1987, ran a 100 lap race just pitted for fuel, at lap 45 two cans and lap 90 one can , we finished 5th, main thing was we always had fun!
Scroll down to the March 25 post that’s the asphalt of Cayuga the lower picture of the 444 car

Facebook Post

Facebook Post

Sorry, I can’t get this face book page to link up.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:15 PM

Don't matter Blu. You where there as I at times. No picture, only the ones in your brain.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
As for it to settle. Drop the engine/trans in for weight.
Do you know if the springs are new or something that has been around the block a few times?
Also after the weight, rolling back and forth will help settle the geometry to get a better picture of stance of the front tires.
Ole blue was into dirt track, I helped on asphalt.
Would like to know how your going to blend in the front of the doors to the front also.
I've got the engine, waiting on funds for the transmission. I'm hoping to set the engine in the bay this evening. Thanks for the advice on rolling forward and back, didn't even think of that. Springs looked to be originals. I'm guessing they've been unsprung for a year or two. Not exactly sure on blending yet. Maybe just some simple sheet metal.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
It’s won’t be long!

Getting there!!
Old 10-28-2017, 04:13 PM

I do wanna fab something similar to this for my intake
Old 10-28-2017, 04:31 PM

Got an engine Nothing special. Late 70s model 350. Was a brand new crate engine from Chevrolet. Girlfriends dad installed in a truck for a customer at his shop. Week later they wrecked the truck. Been sitting for 10 years or so. Got a good deal on it. Plan is to clean it up, rebuild carb (quadrajet), remove all the smog crap, new belts, water pump, and probably plugs and wires. Might have to replace valve springs and seals from sitting so long. It's been in a garage, and I want to say they turned it over by hand every few months. Might replace them just to be safe. Cat and Blue, what do y'all think, replace the Springs?

Old 10-28-2017, 08:11 PM

After researching numbers I have a 305 Oh well, still a small block. I'll make it look and sound good at least. Should give me another like or two in my mpg quest eh?

Got my headlight and blinker wires lengthened. Finally bought a nice set of Klein stripper/crimpers, what a difference nice tools make. Wrapped all the connections and wires with electrical tape, then covered in wire loom. Little steps. Didn't make nearly as much progress as I wanted today, but there was a football game I didn't want to miss this afternoon. And my welder and tools are on the jobsite.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:30 PM
Administrator

I’d pop off the cable covers and turn the motor over to each cylinder TDC and check the valve springs for any signs of weakness , like one stays down completely, or is broken.
If it was turned over every once in awhile it should be ok for the street.
I’ve run older engines with a lot more miles!
Old 10-28-2017, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I’d pop off the cable covers and turn the motor over to each cylinder TDC and check the valve springs for any signs of weakness , like one stays down completely, or is broken.
If it was turned over every once in awhile it should be ok for the street.
I’ve run older engines with a lot more miles!
Thanks for the info. I'll spin it over tomorrow and see what im working with.

I think I found some headers that will work. They're almost upside down. The exhaust goes up a little and back, then straight down. Would look cool, keep the exhaust off my starter and away from steering, and make the exhaust system pretty simple.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by RattyHHR
Might have to replace valve springs and seals from sitting so long. It's been in a garage, and I want to say they turned it over by hand every few months. Might replace them just to be safe. Cat and Blue, what do y'all think, replace the Springs?
Let's get real with this, don't get paranoid. pull the covers and look at the springs. How many junk yard engine have been installed in cars with no problem?
If your gun shy, pump each cylinder up, replace valve springs and put umbrella seals on the exhaust.

Me, I would pull the covers and look, after seeing everything is OK put a dummy distributor in and prime the engine with a drill with an external pressure gauge and see what oil pressure can be made. You see 50/60 psi with cold oil and the spark plugs pulled were clean, just start it up.

Quick Reply: HHR LS Swap Rat Rod