General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR LS Swap Rat Rod

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 06:55 PM

Got the engine degreased and pressure washed. Had to get out the pb blast and some hulk strength to break free the years of happiness shared between bolt and nut I pulled enough rubber vacuum lines of to make a set of tires. Got the front of the engine disassembled. I'll get it cleaned up a little more and hit it with some fresh paint. My business is called Vol Craft, and the Volunteers colors are Orange and White mainly, but Smokey grey is an unofficial color. So I'm thinking Orange block/heads/manifold/timing cover. White valve covers, and dark grey brackets.

I popped the valve covers off and turned over the motor, everything looks great.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:39 AM
Premium Member

The lack of carbon in the EGR valve mounting holes verify low miles on engine. 305 is a good reliable workhorse but prone to oil burning thru valve guides. I would replace all of the valve seals due to age before going any farther. IHO
Old 10-30-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by J W Davis
The lack of carbon in the EGR valve mounting holes verify low miles on engine. 305 is a good reliable workhorse but prone to oil burning thru valve guides. I would replace all of the valve seals due to age before going any farther. IHO
Great advice JW. 305 in my Nova burned a little oil before I replaced it. Doesn't sound like a bad idea :thumbup:
Old 10-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Administrator

I put in a set of Felpro valve stem seals on my 305 1988 SBC, cured the crop dusting cloud of smoke everytime I’d start it. But hey no mosquitoes all summer long!!!
Old 10-30-2017, 05:44 PM

Yeah... But they only smoked on startup, right?
Old 10-30-2017, 05:46 PM

If need be I would install this on the intake:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-ss72527
And these on the exhaust:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...rview/make/gmc
There are a couple of YouTube videos that show how to install the small square seal O ring on the valve stem also.
The reason is the oil gets sucked past on the intake valve stem, that's why a tighter seal. The exhaust umbrella seal let's the stem have slight lubrication, if not you tend to have it run dry and the heat of that stem can cause damage to the valve guild.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
If need be I would install this on the intake:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-ss72527
And these on the exhaust:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...rview/make/gmc
There are a couple of YouTube videos that show how to install the small square seal O ring on the valve stem also.
The reason is the oil gets sucked past on the intake valve stem, that's why a tighter seal. The exhaust umbrella seal let's the stem have slight lubrication, if not you tend to have it run dry and the heat of that stem can cause damage to the valve guild.
Your right, I have rebuilt many small block heads in my lifetime and found that the retainers on the exhaust valves let the valve rotate during normal running time. Look at the pictures and notice the difference in the intake and exhaust spring retainers in the picture.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:01 PM

From what I've been reading, the 305 will have an advantage in the gas mileage dept for a couple reasons. The smaller cubic inches of course, but the small bore makes good low end torque. So with my 3.50 rear ratio and an overdrive transmission I shouldn't be lugging in overdrive. Am I correct in my conclusion?
Old 10-31-2017, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Those intake and exhaust seals look identical to those Felpro seals.
Yep they only smoked on startup.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:30 PM

One thing I'm noting about your engine... That smog era, vacuum controlled Qjet is not going to run very well without all those vacuum lines connected properly.

I'm sure you know where they all connected up and haven't made tires out of them yet...

Quick Reply: HHR LS Swap Rat Rod