Site Development, Help and Announcements Site Discussions, Suggestions, and Help

An apology, and warning!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:41 AM
Deceased

Unfortunately, this happened once before in March of 2013. Apparently it's an annual hacking of my e-mail, not something I look forward to.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

Firemangeorge - it might be (semi-similar) - hence the suggestion to change your email account password. I'd do that asap to be on the safe side, and see if the problem goes away.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:01 PM

Yeah Mike.

As I mentioned to you earlier I got Hacked at my Yahoo address and then really upgraded my password.
That has fixed it so far ... about 6 months ago.

Downside ... I gotta look at it on paper as I can't remember it anymore !!
SF
Old 02-24-2014, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Unfortunately, this happened once before in March of 2013. Apparently it's an annual hacking of my e-mail, not something I look forward to.
I just got to say this is one stand up guy on this site ,very helpful in any way
Old 02-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

If you believe that "virus" invaded your email address list, you need to eliminate/eradicate it's source from your email list. Check your address book carefully and determine if anything IS NOT supposed to be there. I got that virus about 6 months ago and found nothing in my address book to raise suspicion. However, I contacted my anti virus provider, Webroot, and they gave me a method to check my Yahoo email book through a "back door". Easily found two addresses that were vary suspicious and eliminated them. They were something like !#$%Y(*765@-sjhy&654%*.com. It seems that particular virus also writes something to hide/make invisible THEIR address/script/code in your list. I haven't had a problem since.

If I can find the method.......I wrote it down somewhere....I'll provide it. It probably only works with Yahoo, however.

Oh, forgot one other detail. They also suggested to create a bogus email address in your list. Something that WILL NOT transfer....something like abcdef@aaaspam.com. That way your email provider will inform that the email is not deliverable and you know your list has been compromised.

Just info and a suggestion.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Deceased

I'd really appreciate any info that you have Snoopy, the security folks at Yahoo have been very helpful. I change my e-mail and forum passwords weekly, plus I have a "bogus" address in my contacts, but this hacker/bot got around it.

I've also notified both McAfee and Norton because I use products from both depending on the device.

I did talk to our site's owners when they got in this morning, and "ChevyHHR.net" wasn't compromised.

But I do have to publicly apologize to Renee at Internet Brands for my lack of Southern manners and use of colorful language when describing what happened. My Momma would wash my mouth out with soap if she had heard stream of four lettered invective that issued forth.

To the members here, I offer my sincere apology to anyone affected, and I will redouble my efforts to make sure it never happens again.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

Snoopy- I agree with you.. I have a 'special' e-addy in my book for just that purpose as well..(as was recommended by my provider)..

FWIW: Was on the news a while back about yahoo getting hacked.. I don't use yahoo, but I did take steps to try & avoid any other issues such as this..

843, "I change my e-mail and forum passwords weekly"

Really ? what I recieved was the same exact e-mail address you used years ago...
Old 02-25-2014, 01:04 AM
Deceased

I change the passwords weekly, not the e-mail account, that Yahoo e-mail address dates back to 1995. This is the third time it has been hacked since the early 2000's, the reason that antique e-mail address exists is for my far flung friends, family, and acquaintances.

They know that if all else fails, I'm reachable there.

From today forward, all forum members with whom I have exchanged e-mails have been deleted from my "contacts list", and a fresh "invalid" contact has been added in an attempt to trip up any future hackers.

My apologies have been made, forum security was not compromised, and this thread is closed.