Site Development, Help and Announcements Site Discussions, Suggestions, and Help

Duplicate "How To" threads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 06:11 AM

Duplicate "How To" threads?

Hi. I'm searching for the best "how to" for step-by-step diagnosis of the blinking passenger seat heater control issue, which several members have posted that they would document, so I'm bound to find it yet... Beside the point, but on my deep search, I see this in the General Discussion / How To forum:

How to: Changing LED's in Radio, Heater Controls, & Instrument Panel

...for several pages toward the end...

So I'll stop opening tabs for all the How To MOD threads I have distracted myself with so far and get to reading what I've actually found. Just thought you may want to look into that forum area in case something peculiar happened between pages 23ish through 35 of the "How To" thread list.

Thanks again for all you do! I visit infrequently now, but as an original 2006 HHR 2LT owner, I keep coming back here for sound advice & great ideas. Keep up the good work (everybody)! ~Christoph (MrCatPC)
Old 09-05-2015, 08:37 AM
Administrator

The search brings up each page of a thread , so yeah it can drag up what appears to be a lot of threads, but it's really just one thread with a lot of pages.
So what is the issue with your heated seats?
The control blinks or is that a metaphor for an obscenity as in blinking toaster quit working!
Old 09-05-2015, 09:17 AM
Technical Moderator

To elaborate ; at the top of the results page there are three tabs. Web&images, threads and posts.

Choosing threads will narrow the duplicates down.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

Let me second what MrCatPC is talking about.

Go to the "How To" section. Starting on about page 23, the threads listed are the same title over and over again for the next 10-12 pages. Heck. Even the dates on those repeating threads are listed something like 1969. ???
Not talking about the Sticky's.
It's an obvious programming error or such.

I think he was just trying to point out this error for our Mods or Admin. to look into.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:37 AM
Administrator

I see what you mean, like it's stuck and repeating pages of threads from page 23 , could be from the site update a few weeks ago.
Oh Mr. Administrator. It seems more professional then , Hey, Mikey?
Old 09-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Technical Moderator

That part was pointed out a few years ago I seem to remember. I remember JonyB addressing it at some point when he still cared.

It was an artifact of a botched software upgrade by the previous owner. Or, maybe a server crash, I don't recall which.

I just tried to delete a bunch of them (again) They are stuck there in the DB. Notice they are all empty
Old 09-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Administrator

But did you find the crystal skull?
Old 09-07-2015, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
But did you find the crystal skull?
Oldblue, you brought it all together, thanks! Relative to yesterday but completely unrelated to this thread...

We watched Goonies again with our boys this weekend sometime, and I said, "look, it's 'Short-Round!'" which got blank looks from my wife and, "you mean Data?" She's always right, partially, so I agreed for now, but there's a reason for that... later we were out for dinner at the Mexican restaurant near home & my 10yr old son took the stem from his cherry (we all had Shirley Temples), challenging Mom to a swordfight, but Angie had already tied her own stem in a knot so she picked it up, aimed it at him and said, "Bang!" Immediately I exclaimed, "Good shot, Indy!" ...again a blank look from my other half, but also a confession: "You really gotta have me watch those movies sometime."

Validation. It's a nice thing once in a while. Thanks firemangeorge, donbrew, & Oldblue, BINGO! You found it. Way back when I joined this forum I would've probably jumped the gun & fired right back about the filtering tabs, posts vs threads, etc., but I knew somebody would see what I was talking about. Corrupted database. Makes sense to me, was hoping it wasn't my phone's view of the forum listing...

Meanwhile, Oldblue, yes, I can elaborate on the seat heater error light on the passenger control button, but I'll do that on a new thread when I dig into it. City of Sioux Falls took a vote to push back K-12 school start date til day after Labor Day, 2 weeks later than normal (big joke, not funny), so my first priority is getting the boys scooted to class tomorrow morning, you know, after I work with rewiring a server switch rack & patch panel all morning today...

Thanks again guys, for the insight and the banter. Needed that! ~Christoph
Old 09-07-2015, 07:31 AM
Administrator

You're gonna need a bigger boat!
Our kids up here have always been back to school the Tuesday or day after Labour Day, it's the most wonderful time of the year!
Now drive careful and watch out for those school kids!