Site Development, Help and Announcements Site Discussions, Suggestions, and Help

Tips and hints for the new NAVBAR

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

Tips and hints for the new NAVBAR

The new NAVBAR is certainly a change from the previous bars, but has some great features that we will sure make good use out of.

I'll keep this first post in this thread updated with Tips and Hints for some of the more obscure features or functions that some of us cannot find, that we used to use with the previous bars.

OLD Feature. .......................... New location
> Todays posts .................click on the triangle next to your members name in the upper right corner, and you will find it in the drop down list - UPDATE: with most browsers, you can just hover your mouse over the ?-mark or your name to bring up the drop down list
> User Control Panel (CP) ........... Same as above - ie USER CP
> MY POSTS ......................... this is more of a bypass, but it works:
- click triangle next to your name in the upper right corner
- MY PROFILE
- click the STATISTICS tab
- click "find all posts by....."
(unfortunately making the result a Favorite won't work beyond the current login session)

> SEARCH tool improved ........... now accepts 3 letter terms like ABS etc.

Feel free to add a post with your tips, and I'll add them to this first post.

Cheers

whopper

Last edited by whopper; 08-28-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:50 AM

For the My Posts, like Mike suggested, using subscribed threads is pretty much the same thing. It lists the threads in order of newest post made by anyone instead of the last date that you yourself posted in it.

I still think this and today's posts (actually updates right away vs recent threads which removes any thread you just posted in) should be brought out of the drop down tab and given direct link tabs on the page itself.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

Agreed.

The Subscribed Threads works ok, but I used My Posts much more frequently due to the time-line it listed my stuff in. I just found it much more convenient and quicker to use when I was looking for one of my old posts.

But I sure do like the new SEARCH tool. Being able to search for 3-letter acronyms is great.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

My Posts was always the 1st one I would check. That way I was sure to answer back to any threads I was involved with.
Now with this new format AND my age, I'm lost.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:54 AM

I also miss the My Post link! What's up with all the wasted space in the
Top Gold Bar? I assume that will be filled in with ???
I hate change lol but will live to grip about it :)
Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Agreed.

The Subscribed Threads works ok, but I used My Posts much more frequently due to the time-line it listed my stuff in. I just found it much more convenient and quicker to use when I was looking for one of my old posts.

But I sure do like the new SEARCH tool. Being able to search for 3-letter acronyms is great.

I am finding that the subscribed threads is working just the same as the My Posts thread by putting the most recently posted in threads in order from newest post to oldest post regardless of who posted in it.

Now the same cannot be said for the search results anymore. Now if there was a thread I recently read but did not subscribe to it (which I rarely ever did) it may be on another page even though it was a thread from a day or two ago. I could also do without the google ads. I am guessing this is a way for the site to make money.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Deceased

"My Posts" will be back, Renee at IB is working on restoring it as soon as possible.

Its removal/deletion was an oversight missed by all of us who had the new Navbar to tinker with the past couple of weeks.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Premium Member

What ever the little antenna thing is ....it seems to be the most recent posts.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Administrator

'll hold off any comments, as the great Flower once taught me a long time ago, if you can't say nothing nice, don't say nothing at all! but seriously it will all work out , I agree a direct link to recent or todays posts would be better
Old 08-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SS fan
What ever the little antenna thing is ....it seems to be the most recent posts.
Right - and you can fine-tune it via the item at the top-right of the page, to ignore certain forums, OR go way down to the bottom of the Settings page and set it to "Subscribed threads only" - which is almost like MY POSTS but not quite.

Quick Reply: Tips and hints for the new NAVBAR