South East MS, AL, TN, GA, SC, NC, FL

Moving out of Florida to TN??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 10:41 PM

Moving out of Florida to TN??

Hey folks I need some info. We're thinking of moving out of Fl to the south east part of TN. We don't know anything about TN and was wondering if anyone living there can tell us something about the area. I have a brother who lives up in Madison, TN and a sister in law who lives in the north west of NC so we thought the SE part of TN would be a good compromise between the two family members. Does TN have a state income tax and if so, does it apply to retirement income? How about property, cost, taxes, insurance, etc.? What about auto insurance and that sort of thing. We here in Florida have these wonderful hurricanes to deal with, does TN have the wrath of mother nature in any form? We're not worried about schools since we no longer have school age children. We would also prefer to live somewhere out in the country, out side of the city limits. We want at least an acre so we can have a big shop like I have now. Any info you can give us would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dan
Old 08-13-2006, 11:01 PM

I went in search of some info for you and came up with THIS site that explains a few things in general about Tennessee. Looks like some of the info you might need is on the site.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
I went in search of some info for you and came up with THIS site that explains a few things in general about Tennessee. Looks like some of the info you might need is on the site.
Thanks Deb, we also found this info. But if you read through this stuff it's like a double tongue snake, lots of contradiction. I would like to hear from people who actually live there cause they know the drill...Thanks :)
Old 08-13-2006, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by dan-d
Hey folks I need some info. We're thinking of moving out of Fl to the south east part of TN. We don't know anything about TN and was wondering if anyone living there can tell us something about the area. I have a brother who lives up in Madison, TN and a sister in law who lives in the north west of NC so we thought the SE part of TN would be a good compromise between the two family members. Does TN have a state income tax and if so, does it apply to retirement income? How about property, cost, taxes, insurance, etc.? What about auto insurance and that sort of thing. We here in Florida have these wonderful hurricanes to deal with, does TN have the wrath of mother nature in any form? We're not worried about schools since we no longer have school age children. We would also prefer to live somewhere out in the country, out side of the city limits. We want at least an acre so we can have a big shop like I have now. Any info you can give us would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dan
I have two relatives who live in Memphis and Nashville and all I can tell you for sure is that TN does NOT have a State Income Tax. I do know they make that up with the sales tax but considering I am from MS with a 7.5% sales tax it does not seem so bad that TN has a 8% sales tax (guessing on the actual number but I know its close to MS). As far as the other stuff your best bet would be to get on the internet and check them out.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by jwolfe99
I have two relatives who live in Memphis and Nashville and all I can tell you for sure is that TN does NOT have a State Income Tax. I do know they make that up with the sales tax but considering I am from MS with a 7.5% sales tax it does not seem so bad that TN has a 8% sales tax (guessing on the actual number but I know its close to MS). As far as the other stuff your best bet would be to get on the internet and check them out.
We've done all the internet stuff and I hate to say it but Tennessee's info is real contradictory at best....LOL

I've read that their sales tax is about 7% and I can live with that. But there are many unknowns...LOL
Old 08-14-2006, 06:48 AM

My Wife and I moved our family up here from Florida 2 years ago. We absolutly love it here in Tennessee. The weather is incredible, pace of life is slower, and living is much easier here. The air is clean and you can actually drink the tap water. We live just south of Nashville, so I can't tell you much about the Chattanooga area, other than, there is some beautiful scenery around that part of Tennessee. As stated above, we have no state income tax, property taxes here are nothing compared to Florida, insurance here is much less $$ than Florida, both auto and home coverage here is less than what we were paying in Florida just for our auto insurance.
Simply put, living here is much easier than what we had in Florida. Don't get me wrong, I was born and raised in Tampa Bay, and lived there for most of my life, so I will always love Florida. I just don't want to live there anymore...

My Sister and her family are actually in the process of moving up here too. Labor Day weekend is the big move date for them. I'de be glad to help you with any info you may need, just let me know what I can do to help.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:55 AM

I flew over Tennessee once. Just once. Although I am Boston area born and bred, my heart is in Florida. Don't give it up!
Old 08-14-2006, 09:21 AM

I live about 45min west of Knoxville in a very small town called Coalfield (yes an old coal mining town) . Not much bad weather in east Tn. What kind of place are you lookin for?
Old 08-14-2006, 09:52 AM

I lived in Nashville for 10 years and my hometown is Dalton, GA, which is about 30 miles South of Chattanooga, TN. I used to own a cabin by the river outside of Gatlinburg, TN.

You'll get nothing but praise about TN from me, especially central and eastern. El Guapo pretty much hit on all of the financial benefits and the beauty of the area. There is nothing like Fall in TN, NC, and North GA!

I came out here to get away from the music establishment in Nashville for a while, but I'll be home soon. Probably back home to GA since I have my old family land there, but I wouldn't mind going back to Nashville either.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:26 AM

I live about 30 miles northeast of Chattanooga, moved here 8 years ago from southern California. There is no state income tax, car licensing is cheap cheap cheap. Some counties have a wheel tax but I don't know exactly how much I just know Rhea county doesn't have one and my vanity plates cost me $50 a year. I have been watching the doppler radar for most of the last 8 years and the area around us seems to have a shield that goes up whenever the nasties come in from the west, actually it's the Cumberland Plateau...lol
There are areas that seem to get worse weather than others but all in all the climate here is very mild, we get a little of everything but none of the bad stuff hangs around long. Tornadoes seem to go north and south of us but are much fewer than in other parts of the country, west of the Cumberland Plateau gets more severe weather than just east of it.
Property is pretty well priced but then again my reference is California so things here are about one fourth of what they are there, you will have to check with individual counties for tax rates but it is pretty low in Rhea. I can't comment on auto insurance because my other half did a no no almost 5 years ago and ours has been pretty high (almost over YAY!) but I would imagine still lower than FL which I assume is close to CA in cost of living.
There is nothing that would get me to move voluntarily away from this gorgeous part of Tennessee and I would only go back to CA kicking and screaming and I was born and raised there and had never lived anywhere else until I came here.

Quick Reply: Moving out of Florida to TN??