South East MS, AL, TN, GA, SC, NC, FL

Moving out of Florida to TN??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:29 PM

Dan-d, Sorry I have been away for awhile with work, YUK!

Send me a PM with your Phone Number and I will call and
we can chat on my dime!!! LOL!!!

The area you are thinking about is way cool first week of
Oct. for the Fall Color changes. It is just gorgoerougous!!!!

Hope to see ya soon... Biltmore on Labor Day???

13 days!!!!

Last edited by galladanb; 08-19-2006 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:43 PM

Dan,

I have been here is SE TN for about 5 years...here's my

No State Income tax
7% Sales w/ fairly low property taxes
weather is incredible!!!
cost of living is decent (gotta be careful not to get too close to Nashville / Memphis...growing VERY fast...housing gets a little high)

I live in Cleveland (20 miles north of Chattanooga and recommend it highly...seems to be a "settling" place for Floridians tired of rebuilding from storms. (Sold my house to folks from Florida back in December...new neighbors are also from FL). Located near Rock City / Ruby Falls / Ocoee whitewater.....(can you tell I LOVE it here????)

I would also suggest looking around Maryville, TN. 20 minutes from Knoxville, 20 minutes from Gatlinburg (Smokey Mountains /great Rod runs)
Either location is excellent...great hospitals / shopping / recreation

From Chattanooga to Knoxville, anywhere along I-75, US 11, US 411, or US 27 would be great....
Old 08-17-2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by dan-d
I just remembered that I used to hang out with a guy from Dalton, his Dad owns Cascade Carpets. He was stationed in Florida many years ago and we became friends. He has since got out of the Navy and has returned to the area, maybe I'll try looking him up. We did visit there way back then and all I remember is it was very country....I like
I may know him, or at least his dad. I spent 10 years in advertising at Shaw Industries before I went into the music business so I know a lot of carpet people.

I have lived all over... GA, TN, FL, MO, AR, TX, CA... and after I left Dallas, I said I would NEVER live outside of GA, TN, or NC. Then I screwed up and moved to CA but that was a music business thing. I'm glad I met my wife but I really don't like living in CA. She wants to move back to Dalton with me too. I could live in Nashville again easily, but Dalton is home and it is also some of the prettiest country I have ever seen in all of my travels. TN does have the benefit of no state income tax but Dalton is close enough that you can actually work in Chattanooga if you want to. I'm ready to get back home!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by TNHHR1
Dan,

I have been here is SE TN for about 5 years...here's my

No State Income tax
7% Sales w/ fairly low property taxes
weather is incredible!!!
cost of living is decent (gotta be careful not to get too close to Nashville / Memphis...growing VERY fast...housing gets a little high)

I live in Cleveland (20 miles north of Chattanooga and recommend it highly...seems to be a "settling" place for Floridians tired of rebuilding from storms. (Sold my house to folks from Florida back in December...new neighbors are also from FL). Located near Rock City / Ruby Falls / Ocoee whitewater.....(can you tell I LOVE it here????)

I would also suggest looking around Maryville, TN. 20 minutes from Knoxville, 20 minutes from Gatlinburg (Smokey Mountains /great Rod runs)
Either location is excellent...great hospitals / shopping / recreation

From Chattanooga to Knoxville, anywhere along I-75, US 11, US 411, or US 27 would be great....
Thanks for the info, we'll check out these areas :)
Old 08-17-2006, 10:04 PM

I don't know his dad's name but their last name is Barnes. They sold cascade carpets about 10 - 12 years ago. My friend is Bill Barnes and he's married to Vickie, he's been driving trucks for a local company now since they sold the carpet business. I've been to Dalton and it is nice country. I have family farther south in the Jonesboro (sp), Riverdale area. I'm retired so working isn't an issue, I'm never going to punch a clock again. This is one of our reasons for relocating, we need to stretch our fixed income and living here in Florida isn't going to work the way costs are rising. I do operate a singning / notary out of my home for some extra income, but I can do this anywhere.

Originally Posted by Songman
I may know him, or at least his dad. I spent 10 years in advertising at Shaw Industries before I went into the music business so I know a lot of carpet people.

I have lived all over... GA, TN, FL, MO, AR, TX, CA... and after I left Dallas, I said I would NEVER live outside of GA, TN, or NC. Then I screwed up and moved to CA but that was a music business thing. I'm glad I met my wife but I really don't like living in CA. She wants to move back to Dalton with me too. I could live in Nashville again easily, but Dalton is home and it is also some of the prettiest country I have ever seen in all of my travels. TN does have the benefit of no state income tax but Dalton is close enough that you can actually work in Chattanooga if you want to. I'm ready to get back home!
Old 08-17-2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by galladanb
Dan-d, Sorry I have been away for awhile with work, YUK!

Send me a PM with your Phone Number and I will call and
we can chat on my dime!!! LOL!!!

The area you are thinking about is way cool first week of
Oct. for the Fall Color changes. It is just gorgoerougous!!!!

Hope to see ya soon... Biltmore on Labor Day???

15 days!!!!
Hey Dan,

Kathy and I were really itching to make the Biltmore Bash and planned on making it since day one. But when our 1,000.00 insurance bill arrived with an increase to 3200.00 that killed any plans for travel. This is one of the major reasons we've decided to relocate out of Florida. It's tough for folks like us on a retirement fixed income to handle an increase in anything, but to triple an already expensive annual expense just drops us to our knees. This is one of the reasons you haven't seen me posting any new mods to my HHR....I can't afford any...LOL
Old 08-18-2006, 10:14 PM

I used to have a friend named Butch Barnes. His dad's name was Bill. I don't know if it is the same one or not. They lived right down the street from me 30 years ago but moved when I was about 12.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:14 AM

Have you had any luck? What are gas prices in FL? As of this morning 87 is 2.86, 89 2.96, 93 3.06 around here.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:01 AM

You need to come to the Chattanooga area it's down to $2.60
Old 08-25-2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by SBHHR
Have you had any luck? What are gas prices in FL? As of this morning 87 is 2.86, 89 2.96, 93 3.06 around here.
Gas prices here are about the same as yours. As far as having any luck goes we've requested information on several properties all around the Chatanooga area. But communication is kinda slow on some of them. We still haven't put our house on the market yet since we have some minor painting and other things to do. We think it's going to be tough to sell at this point. There is a glut of property for sale down hear and our's being in the 250 - 300k price bracket it may take a while. But we have decided we are going to move. -Dan