South East MS, AL, TN, GA, SC, NC, FL

Moving out of Florida to TN??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by El_Guapo
My Wife and I moved our family up here from Florida 2 years ago. We absolutly love it here in Tennessee. The weather is incredible, pace of life is slower, and living is much easier here. The air is clean and you can actually drink the tap water. We live just south of Nashville, so I can't tell you much about the Chattanooga area, other than, there is some beautiful scenery around that part of Tennessee. As stated above, we have no state income tax, property taxes here are nothing compared to Florida, insurance here is much less $$ than Florida, both auto and home coverage here is less than what we were paying in Florida just for our auto insurance.
Simply put, living here is much easier than what we had in Florida. Don't get me wrong, I was born and raised in Tampa Bay, and lived there for most of my life, so I will always love Florida. I just don't want to live there anymore...

My Sister and her family are actually in the process of moving up here too. Labor Day weekend is the big move date for them. I'de be glad to help you with any info you may need, just let me know what I can do to help.
Thanks for the info, like you I love Florida but we're just getting tired of being raped on insurance, home taxes and that sort of thing. I'm originally from Hawaii and moved to Florida many years ago because back then Florida was very affordable, but things have really changed over the years. I've been to Chattanooga and Dalton, GA many years ago and it is pretty country. I have a brother that lives near Nashville in a town called Madison, he loves it up there. I'll drop you a PM as things develope, I may pick your brain some more. Thanks again, Dan
Old 08-14-2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by SBHHR
I live about 45min west of Knoxville in a very small town called Coalfield (yes an old coal mining town) . Not much bad weather in east Tn. What kind of place are you lookin for?
Thanks for the info. We're not real picky as far as the house goes and would consider a large manufactured home. We want at least an acre, we like to have lots of leg room. We want a place with enough property to build a shop on. My current shop is 25x35 and has three bay's, one with a 4 post lift. The house has to have at least 3 beedrooms and two baths. -Dan
Old 08-14-2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Songman
I lived in Nashville for 10 years and my hometown is Dalton, GA, which is about 30 miles South of Chattanooga, TN. I used to own a cabin by the river outside of Gatlinburg, TN.

You'll get nothing but praise about TN from me, especially central and eastern. El Guapo pretty much hit on all of the financial benefits and the beauty of the area. There is nothing like Fall in TN, NC, and North GA!

I came out here to get away from the music establishment in Nashville for a while, but I'll be home soon. Probably back home to GA since I have my old family land there, but I wouldn't mind going back to Nashville either.
I just remembered that I used to hang out with a guy from Dalton, his Dad owns Cascade Carpets. He was stationed in Florida many years ago and we became friends. He has since got out of the Navy and has returned to the area, maybe I'll try looking him up. We did visit there way back then and all I remember is it was very country....I like
Old 08-15-2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by dan-d
Thanks for the info. We're not real picky as far as the house goes and would consider a large manufactured home. We want at least an acre, we like to have lots of leg room. We want a place with enough property to build a shop on. My current shop is 25x35 and has three bay's, one with a 4 post lift. The house has to have at least 3 beedrooms and two baths. -Dan
If see anything I will let you know. A friend of mine just found a house on the net. Have you checked that out yet?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by SBHHR
If see anything I will let you know. A friend of mine just found a house on the net. Have you checked that out yet?
Oh yeah, there are several on the net. We inquired on several so we're getting calls daily from realtors....LOL
Old 08-15-2006, 03:18 PM

There's a bunch of lower cost housing in the Kingsport/Church Hill are if you want to come up that far (about 100 miles east of Knoxville). There's all kinds of farm land for sales in the area.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by James06
There's a bunch of lower cost housing in the Kingsport/Church Hill are if you want to come up that far (about 100 miles east of Knoxville). There's all kinds of farm land for sales in the area.
Cool, I'll check out that area as well.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by dan-d
Cool, I'll check out that area as well.
If you decide on this area, maybe we could start an HHR club. I don't know of one in the area.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:25 PM

well, no matter what part of Tennessee you settle in, I'm sure you will enjoy it... Life in general here is much better than the rat race that is everyday in FLA.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by El_Guapo
well, no matter what part of Tennessee you settle in, I'm sure you will enjoy it... Life in general here is much better than the rat race that is everyday in FLA.
Well for us it's pretty laid back. We live in Mims just north of Titusville, it's pretty much country out here, heck, four cars in any one place is a traffic jam for us...LOL But your right, most of Florida is pretty hecktic. We even get some spill over from Daytona during Bikefest and that sort of thing, or when there's a shuttle launch.

Quick Reply: Moving out of Florida to TN??