South East MS, AL, TN, GA, SC, NC, FL

Is the snow hitting anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:33 PM

So I woke up this morning with my yard covered in snow. The drive in wasn't too bad, but getting into downtown Birmingham was a nightmare. Skidded only a few times, and my heart jumped a few beats when I barely missed another car at an intersection while turning. So now my hospital is on lockdown (I believe the city is as well) and I'm stuck here after my shift is done.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:37 PM

4th snow day this month and we should be used to it. This one's more for the cold. 3 degrees and windy is not nice to stand out waiting for the bus. But I am in Buffalo and cold weather is my thing. FYI, the HHR with good snow tires is awesome in the snow (5 speed SS)

JIm
Old 01-28-2014, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jeda13
4th snow day this month and we should be used to it. This one's more for the cold. 3 degrees and windy is not nice to stand out waiting for the bus. But I am in Buffalo and cold weather is my thing. FYI, the HHR with good snow tires is awesome in the snow (5 speed SS)

JIm
Well, here in AL no one knows how to deal with snow INCLUDING the county officials. I'm from VA and we have people on standby with plows, salt, the works.. it's been since 8am this morning the snow has been falling and these people don't know what to do but panic. Nothing's been done about the roads so we're planning on being on lockdown for at least 24 hours. I'd hate to be in Buffalo right now though lol
Old 01-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Deceased

Snow, sleet, & freezing rain in both North and South Carolina.

States of Emergency declared in both Carolina's, so to paraphrase National Lampoon's Vacation movie.

"Sorry folks, State's closed, the Moose out front shoulda told ya"

Old 01-28-2014, 07:03 PM

Raining earlier and ice fell for a couple hours and it's now snowing slowl covering things
Old 01-28-2014, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Well. We've had sleet all day which may turn into light snow overnight. It has turned the southern end of Alabama into a mess. Last time I recall snow here was about 20 years ago!
And no, we don't know how to deal with the freezing roads because the local governments here don't keep that kind of equipment on hand.
I guess I got lucky because my work shift ended at 7:00 am and I was able to go home right before the mess started.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:18 PM

I laughed through my nose when I seen this thread...We are on pace to break our record of 94 inches of snow for the winter...

oh and I have turned the snow into a little drifting/powersliding fun...with safety in mind of course...the back end of these cars tend to slide out from behind you (especially me with snow tires only on the front)
Old 01-28-2014, 07:45 PM

We got some snow about 1/2 foot over two days But it's cold. -10 at night
Old 01-28-2014, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Well. We've had sleet all day which may turn into light snow overnight. It has turned the southern end of Alabama into a mess. Last time I recall snow here was about 20 years ago!
And no, we don't know how to deal with the freezing roads because the local governments here don't keep that kind of equipment on hand.
I guess I got lucky because my work shift ended at 7:00 am and I was able to go home right before the mess started.
Yeah, my pharmacist mentioned they were comparing this to the blizzard of 82. I didn't realize it'd been that long since real snow fell. I'm pretty sure the southern side of Alabama is a disaster. Birmingham still can't get its act together to start cleaning streets. Last I'd heard, they were talking about the National Guard coming in to help all the folks that keep abandoning their cars and walking (with children) to their destination or the closest shelter.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

southern_red- just make sure you have bread & milk. I don't know why, but it's a Southern thing..

We got just over an inch of powdery white stuff today..

Quick Reply: Is the snow hitting anyone else?