South Pacific CA, NV, HI

Clear plate covers illegal in cali

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:01 AM

Clear plate covers illegal in cali

FYI, If you don't know then consider yourself warned. This is what I love laws that make the innocent into violators. I found out going through the gate at MCAS Miramar. Marine Guards can be strict when enforcing of "minor" vehicle codes.

Was told that the clear cover over the rear plate was illegal and had to be removed immediately or be denied access on base. When I got home found on the net that it was indeed in the california vehicle code.

Depending on the officer, you maybe ticketed on the spot or only if you are pulled over for more serious violations- then they add on more violations such plate cover illegal tint etc.

PS. My original reason for putting on clear plate covers on all the cars was to prevent #$#@$ tweakers from stealing tags. Yes, we've seen this happen on corporate security cams.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:03 AM

Yeah--it's been a law quite a while... But only recently have they begun strict enforcement.. they don't want anything to "obstruct" red-light camera's view...
Old 02-09-2009, 11:09 AM

I had tags taken off my truck once when I lived in Oakland--didn't know until I was pulled over and the CHP guy checked that I had indeed paid for my plates, was cool about it, and no ticket. So I understand the concern there Daryl. I thought clear was ok and only the 'smoke' was an issue.

I don't use one, and only once was given a warning about not having the plate on in the front (back when I had the CAL plate on instead of the license plate--that was always with me though!).

Oh joy.

@
Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 AM

Expect more enforcement of regulations concerning the display of plates into the future folks. Besides the red-light cams (a GOOD thing, BTW), automated plate readers now starting to be mounted onto patrol vehicles are the reason.

To help prevent theft of registration tabs, slice them multiple times with a razor blade after installation so they can't be removed in one piece.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:06 PM

how about having your entire license plate stolen and replaced with another one...

Happened to me on campus one time. Only noticed it because i had the Michigan plate with the bridge and sunset action and they put a blue one on my car... stuck out a bit.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:47 PM

After you have put the annual sticker on, take a razor blade and make two cuts from top right had corner to the left lower corner and then another cut from left had corner to the right lower corner. It will prevent someone from stealing your takes because they will be ruined if they take it off. Its worked for me for many years.
See ya down the road
Bud-Harvey
Old 02-09-2009, 01:03 PM

Added note: About tag removal. California plates are so cheap in quality, When I removed the expired tags on my personal plates the paint came of with it
Old 02-09-2009, 03:29 PM

I had tags stolen from my truck one time and when I went back to get new ones they told me to take a razor blade and score them so if someone tries to take them off they will not come off in one piece.

Kris
Old 02-09-2009, 04:04 PM

Plates were stolen off my Wifes truck.
I discovered it when I was following her somewhere.
We got new plates, and beefed up the hardware holding them on.

I did the same thing with my car.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:16 PM

I ran a bead all the way around the plate with my arc welder. Let the bastids try and take it now.

YES I AM KIDDING FFS!

Quick Reply: Clear plate covers illegal in cali