South Pacific CA, NV, HI

I will be retiring next month, after 42.5 yrs with the Air Force.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 02:29 AM

Talking I will be retiring next month, after 42.5 yrs with the Air Force.

I turn 60 and will retire the same week. The gas prices are getting scary as I am planning to drive cross-country to Philadelphia in June, (MAYBE). The SS will be my ride as the Soul only has a 12.5 gal gas tank. Both vehicles get about the same gas mileage, as long as I keep the SS under 70. Just adding up the dollar numbers for gas is scary. I figure 6,000 miles for the round trip plus about 2-3,000 miles in the month I plan to be there. Add in an oil change or two and probably getting new tires and maybe new wheels, the numbers are getting more than scary.
I plan on heading East on the 40 to Tennessee, then up the back bone of Virginia (I believe that will be on the 81). My daughter lives in Delaware, I may see her first before seeing my parents.
My plans are to be back around mid July.
I've got just under 10,000 miles on the SS now and when I get back it will be double that.
I'm going to have to get that Colgan bra to stretch over the bumper and get some mirror covers.
I'll take the laptop and my camera along and get some pics along the way.
This Federal budget battle hasn't helped with my feelings that I may need to delay until September.
It's been six years since I made this drive in winter. At least then I got to split the driving with my then step-daughter.
Oh yeah, then there will be at least 3 over-night stops each way at a roadside motel.
The list goes on and on.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:32 AM

Reserves or ANG? I know you can't do 42+ years active.....

Thanks for you service. I did the 20 and retired, still plugging away another 8 years so far civil service.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:48 AM
Banned

Thank you for your service Smurf. I'm about to head into the USAF for SFs. Should be end of August when I join up. Gotta get in shape.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:19 AM

Thanks for your service

3 years in the USN was plenty for me.

Sounds like a fun trip.

Here's a link at Google maps showing the trip from I-81 through Fancy Gap, Va, up the Blue Ridge Parkway and getting back to I-81 through Roanoke.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,1.321106&z=10

If you like country driving through awesome scenery and can stand a detour on such a high mileage trip it'll be the best 3 hours of your trip.
There's a diner with some real nice people and even better coffee within sight of the entrance at Fancy Gap and Roanoke might be a good place to stretch a bit before the last leg of Interstate.

From Fancy Gap heading North there's mile after mile of rhododendrons and azaleas elbow to elbow.
I've never been through there when they're blooming (May/June) but it'll be the prettiest stretch of road you'll see East of The Pacific Coast Highway if you catch it

Last edited by Mowgli; 04-14-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Deceased

Off we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun;
Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,
At 'em boys, Give 'er the gun! (Give 'er the gun!)*
Down we dive, spouting our flame from under,
Off with one helluva roar!
We live in fame or go down in flame. Hey!
Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!

Minds of men fashioned a crate of thunder,
Sent it high into the blue;
Hands of men blasted the world asunder;
How they lived God only knew! (God only knew then!)
Souls of men dreaming of skies to conquer
Gave us wings, ever to soar!
With scouts before and bombers galore. Hey!
Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!

Here's a toast to the host
Of those who love the vastness of the sky,
To a friend we send a message of his brother men who fly.
We drink to those who gave their all of old,
Then down we roar to score the rainbow's pot of gold.
A toast to the host of men we boast, the U.S. Air Force!

Zoom!

Off we go into the wild sky yonder,
Keep the wings level and true;
If you'd live to be a grey-haired wonder
Keep the nose out of the blue! (Out of the blue, boy!)
Flying men, guarding the nation's border,
We'll be there, followed by more!
In echelon we carry on. Hey!
Nothing will stop the U.S. Air Force!

Thank you for your service to the USA and the USAF.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 AM

Congrats Mike!
Old 04-13-2011, 10:33 AM

42 years in the military is a hell of a long time. When I was in Vietnam (1970) I had a first sgt who was a WW II vet and I thoght he was old. A three day drive fro Ca to Pa will be pushing it. Maybe 800 miles per day is a lot to ask for and "old guy".. I do any more maybe 600 miles. I'm 64 now (averaging 60 mph = 10 hours of driving) I can cover 400+ miles per tank of fuel in my 06 HHR. I completed a 3000+ trip from Florida to NY averaging 30+ mpg by keeping to the speed limit.

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstationsbeta.aspx using this you can determine good gas prices along your route. It came in handy for me finding gas prices vary by 10-20 cents per gallon in a couple of highway interchanges.

In June should be a nice road trip.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:03 AM

And another thank you for your lifetime of service to our country! Enjoy your retirement - you have MORE than earned it! I turn 59 next month and am looking forward to a working retirement at 62 - getting out of the aerospace ratrace I've been in since 1972 and teaching college and consulting. Will have my Doctorate finished then.

Enjoy your trip! I agree that the numbers are scary, but they will only get worse, not better, until at least the presidential election (my opinion - although the opinion of a Management Scientist and $5 will get you a cup of coffee these days ). I need a road trip at least once a year, and prefer a couple. Wife and I drove all day from Colorado to Iowa to deliver the stock tires from my SS to a buyer a couple months ago. Nice to get out. However, a long road trip takes different logistics. Don't overdoo any single day or the rest of the trip will be a pain (in my case, a pain in the back and hips). If you get tired, stop early - you can always add a day (after all, you will be RETIRED!). So See The USA In Your Chevrolet (I know you're old enough to remember those commercials!).
Old 04-13-2011, 12:18 PM

I did 21 years active and the rest was civil service. The last 17.5 at Edwards AFB in California.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:12 PM

We salute you Mike "Pappa Smurf"

Quick Reply: I will be retiring next month, after 42.5 yrs with the Air Force.