South Pacific CA, NV, HI

Need some SoCal help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:35 PM

Need some SoCal help!

So, to get ready for this Embarcadero Show coming up next month I wanted to get some more stuff done to my SS. Problem is when I mess with stuff (or let my bro-in-law) I tend to F it up! I want to do the following, just need to get some supplies:

black calipers
black out tails and reflectors
complete de-badge
install 2.1M color Plasmaglow kit I have had since my last car
clay and wax
remove rear wiper

Problem is the show is coming up soon and I am likely only going to be able to work on this on the weekends, AND, to top it all off, my sons B-day is the 10th, his party is going to be at Victoria's Gardens on the 8th, so that leaves me with 3 weekends to get this stuff done. The other problem is I usually don't get anything done without some motivation/help. I was off work for 2wks following my surgery and got absolutely nothing done. If anybody in the area is car smart or has experience with these mods and wouldn't mind helping me out I would really appreciate it. Regarding 2 statements back, I just had surgery and was out of work for 2wks, unpaid, so $$$ is more than tight, on top of that my wife is currently on temporary unemployment from her job as well, so I would be looking to get some paint and VHT and doing this myself. I am in San Diego, if someone would rather do it at their place and is local that would be fine, probably better than in my dirty ass backyard full of my bro-in-laws projects and misc in-laws junk. I know this is asking alot, if it happens it happens, if not, I guess it will wait. 1 thing I'd like to suggest, on other car forums we would have meets here everybody brought all the crap they had been sitting on and never installed, meet up together somewhere where we could work on our cars, and have install meets to install vinyl, exhausts, intakes, springs, superchargers, etc... This would be something cool to do with our forum as we have a pretty good number of members in the area, just a thought. Great learning experience, I can tell you just about everything about my old Vibe and tear 1 apart in no time I'll tell you that!

Last edited by damronjr; 07-15-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:52 PM

In the L.A. area we have done some mod gatherings where the guys with the know how guided those without. I watched the rear wiper removal mod done at a car show where a bunch attended.

Wish I was close to you to assist. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:17 PM

Dear Damronjr. I have never met you but, I have an HHR and his name is Harvey. I just want to say that Harvey has a lot of Stock, Mild and Wild HHR friends. Part of the enjoyment that I have had is doing a little at a time and then being able to talk to the GREAT HHR owners that you will get to meet just by showing up. If you need help just ask they will be more than will to help if they can. So show up and enjoy.

See ya down the road
Bud-Harvey
Old 07-15-2009, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hotrodbob
In the L.A. area we have done some mod gatherings where the guys with the know how guided those without. I watched the rear wiper removal mod done at a car show where a bunch attended.

Wish I was close to you to assist. Good luck.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I want to remove my rear wiper as well! Mod meets are great but I haven't heard of any in the area recently.

1HotHHR, I hear you and I love working on my own car but just don't want to hose it all up by ignorantly attempting to do something myself. I would rather have someone there who knows what they are doing to help guide me, then after I tinker with a few things I will learn more about the car and be able to do things on my own.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:57 PM

Damron - We can remove your wiper at the car show. It really wouldnt be a Socal g2g without some sort of alteration. Doesnt take long at all. You will need a plug of some sort for the hole. There are several elsewhere on the car now that will work at least for now. Let me know so I can bring the tools.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by HipHotRod
Damron - We can remove your wiper at the car show. It really wouldnt be a Socal g2g without some sort of alteration. Doesnt take long at all. You will need a plug of some sort for the hole. There are several elsewhere on the car now that will work at least for now. Let me know so I can bring the tools.
Sounds good. As for the plug, I just planned on using the black plug from inside the hatch like others have done for now. Maybe I'll snag a hoffman plug from work! At least it would look a little different and actually seal the hole.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by damronjr
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I want to remove my rear wiper as well! Mod meets are great but I haven't heard of any in the area recently.

1HotHHR, I hear you and I love working on my own car but just don't want to hose it all up by ignorantly attempting to do something myself. I would rather have someone there who knows what they are doing to help guide me, then after I tinker with a few things I will learn more about the car and be able to do things on my own.

Damronjr
The wipe delete and debadging can be done at the Embarcadero Show. There's a couple guys Don/HipHotRod, & Tim/TKHHR that are the experts on wiper delete. One of the trim plugs on the rear hatch can be used as a temp plug until you decide later to fill in and paint or .....

That as local as we can get. Until about a couple years there weren't too many SD locals on the site (still isn;t much in my opinion) hence one reason why you don't hear much about SD Mod G2G's. Which is also why I gravitated towards the more active OC area. But maybe things will change in the future.?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by GRUMPEE
Damronjr
The wipe delete and debadging can be done at the Embarcadero Show. There's a couple guys Don/HipHotRod, & Tim/TKHHR that are the experts on wiper delete. One of the trim plugs on the rear hatch can be used as a temp plug until you decide later to fill in and paint or .....

That as local as we can get. Until about a couple years there weren't too many SD locals on the site (still isn;t much in my opinion) hence one reason why you don't hear much about SD Mod G2G's. Which is also why I gravitated towards the more active OC area. But maybe things will change in the future.?
Been that way on most of the forums I am on. There is always a lot going on in LA, but nothing down here, seems most of the SD people aren't real active on the forums.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Uma

Originally Posted by damronjr
Been that way on most of the forums I am on. There is always a lot going on in LA, but nothing down here, seems most of the SD people aren't real active on the forums.
Let's just say that SocalHHR's would love to travel all over the state, most are in the OC. I will make it down there whenever possible, we can help you out alot, we just may need to drive these things, LOL. Todd (Uma)
Old 07-16-2009, 01:11 PM

hey Don, just remember, the fork was NOT a good idea for that trim stud thing haha. bring pliers!

Damronjr, a lot of this stuff is really easy. Nightshades is much like spray paint, but if you want it to look real glossy and smooth, you'll want a couple clear coats and to wet sand it. i'd advise assistance with that if you don't know what you're doing.

debadging is easy, especially if you happen to have an arts & crafts style heat gun and dental floss or fishing line. aim your heat at the edge of the badges, warm it up and the adhesive gets gooey (not too hot, don't want to chance anything on the car itself), then saw it off with the floss/fishing line. if you don't have the heat gun, you can still do the floss/fishing line, it's just not quite as easy or quick. you'll also want some goo-gone or some other type of adhesive remover to get the remaining adhesive from the badges off. also, goo-gone will remove any wax around the area, so save your wash/wax job til you're done. took me about an hour to debadge chicklets and HHR badges, i kept my SS badges, and that was with floss (that kept breaking...) and no heat gun, and includes removing adhesive after badges were gone.

don't worry about the wiper removal, the SoCal HHR guys and gals are PRO at that one haha, they can handle it in under 1/2 hour easy.

underglow lights, can't help ya there, no experience on that one.

calipers, hit up a Kragen or Auto Zone or something of the sort and get either the G2 or DupliColor Caliper Painting Kit (not sure on where to get the G2, i believe that's the brand, i've heard great things about this one though) and follow all the instructions, it comes with absolutely everything you need to do the job.

i'd love to come down to SD and help you out, but that is one hell of a drive for me, and i don't get much time off these days...

Quick Reply: Need some SoCal help!