South Pacific CA, NV, HI

Need some SoCal help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:42 PM

Re-Engineered

Originally Posted by Yonash
hey Don, just remember, the fork was NOT a good idea for that trim stud thing haha. bring pliers!

Damronjr, a lot of this stuff is really easy. Nightshades is much like spray paint, but if you want it to look real glossy and smooth, you'll want a couple clear coats and to wet sand it. i'd advise assistance with that if you don't know what you're doing.

debadging is easy, especially if you happen to have an arts & crafts style heat gun and dental floss or fishing line. aim your heat at the edge of the badges, warm it up and the adhesive gets gooey (not too hot, don't want to chance anything on the car itself), then saw it off with the floss/fishing line. if you don't have the heat gun, you can still do the floss/fishing line, it's just not quite as easy or quick. you'll also want some goo-gone or some other type of adhesive remover to get the remaining adhesive from the badges off. also, goo-gone will remove any wax around the area, so save your wash/wax job til you're done. took me about an hour to debadge chicklets and HHR badges, i kept my SS badges, and that was with floss (that kept breaking...) and no heat gun, and includes removing adhesive after badges were gone.

don't worry about the wiper removal, the SoCal HHR guys and gals are PRO at that one haha, they can handle it in under 1/2 hour easy.

underglow lights, can't help ya there, no experience on that one.

calipers, hit up a Kragen or Auto Zone or something of the sort and get either the G2 or DupliColor Caliper Painting Kit (not sure on where to get the G2, i believe that's the brand, i've heard great things about this one though) and follow all the instructions, it comes with absolutely everything you need to do the job.

i'd love to come down to SD and help you out, but that is one hell of a drive for me, and i don't get much time off these days...
I just use a better fork. We got it done, didnt we Chris? I had almost forgot that we did yours at my house that day. Hope you and the pre-missus are well.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:53 AM

Don't panic?

Originally Posted by HipHotRod
I just use a better fork. We got it done, didnt we Chris? I had almost forgot that we did yours at my house that day. Hope you and the pre-missus are well.
Why do I think of Douglas Adam's when I read this?!

@ngelita
(I'm a dork, but with a towel handy)