SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

2008 HHR SS Brake issue/buy back

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:36 AM

2008 HHR SS Brake issue/buy back

Hello all
This is my first post, and I hate that it has such a negative feel to it, but here we go.

In July I traded in my 2005 GTO for a 2008 HHR SS Auto in black. I could not have been happier witht the car for the first 30 days of ownership. After that, the brake issue that is all too familiar to us (and from what I have read mostly with the auto box) My car is in the shop now for the third time for this issue, and the dealership I am working with is trying to get a time line for the vacuum pump fix. I have read a few people have gotten buy backs, and I was wondering how difficult it was to get that done. I have already told my service writer that if this cant be fixed in a reasonable amount of time, I want bought out, and to order a 2009 5 speed. Any input I can get would be great.

I know there are threads out there already regarding the brakes, but I wanted to ask this specific question regarding the buy back and wanted to make sure the most people saw it.

Thanks guys
Dave
Old 09-23-2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by mynameiswazy
Hello all
This is my first post, and I hate that it has such a negative feel to it, but here we go.

In July I traded in my 2005 GTO for a 2008 HHR SS Auto in black. I could not have been happier witht the car for the first 30 days of ownership. After that, the brake issue that is all too familiar to us (and from what I have read mostly with the auto box) My car is in the shop now for the third time for this issue, and the dealership I am working with is trying to get a time line for the vacuum pump fix. I have read a few people have gotten buy backs, and I was wondering how difficult it was to get that done. I have already told my service writer that if this cant be fixed in a reasonable amount of time, I want bought out, and to order a 2009 5 speed. Any input I can get would be great.

I know there are threads out there already regarding the brakes, but I wanted to ask this specific question regarding the buy back and wanted to make sure the most people saw it.

Thanks guys
Dave
I didn't have to do too much to get it bought back. I pretty much explained to the service manager my concerns and she agreed if they couldn't get a fix from GM within a a few weeks that she would order me a new one. So I agreed with that, they gave me a rental and called me back in a few weeks later and let me order my new one. I never got angry or demanded anything I just told them that I was concerned about safety and the lawsuits that could arise from a car without brakes.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM

I just dont understand why you guys/gals dont just let the car warm up and idle down for a min. before you take off....I know thats not a real fix but jeeze make GM buy back the car for some thing they are working on and also some thing that takes just a few seconds of warm up to fix.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by crazysteve
I just dont understand why you guys/gals dont just let the car warm up and idle down for a min. before you take off....I know thats not a real fix but jeeze make GM buy back the car for some thing they are working on and also some thing that takes just a few seconds of warm up to fix.
I didn't make GM do anything, they offered to buy the car back. And since I would rather have had a 5 spd I agreed. I had my SS for a whole 2 weeks and put about 500 mi on it now its been 2 months since I've driven that car. And I know everyone says "let the car warm up" what if you give the car to a valet and they wind up hitting someone because you forget to tell them they have to sit there and let the car warm up. I deal with liabilities all day at work and I didn't see the benefit of having a car with such a defect. If GM was able to correct this in a timely manner then I would have gladly taken back my original car. But the service manager was the one who said she could not return the car to me until it was fixed. So I am not out to screw GM.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:29 PM

The easy buy back may have been something GM wanted to get one in that had the issue. It is very possible it is the vehicle being used for the new updated TSB.

It is not uncommon for GM to buy back a few vehicles when they are trying to sort out a problem they are having trouble with.

As for a massive buy back it is just not going to happen!

Thr crazy part is there is noting to show the early 09's are going to be any different till the fix is tested and available. As of now I have not seen a 09 with a vaccume pump. So selling back and reordering is not a sure bet to solve anything unless they SS is a late build with the running changes.

One key as pointed out is let it build vaccume.

One other key is not to step on the pedal a lot of times. Just keep steady constant pressure and it will not bleed off the vaccume as fast.

I just checked our system yesterday and the latest is still only the TSB on reprogramming the computer.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:51 PM

This AM after I started the car........I sat and watched the Boost gauge and it started at 5 lbs.........after 2-3 minutes it slowly crept up to between 15-20lbs and I backed up and out No problems......
Old 09-23-2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by mynameiswazy
I have read a few people have gotten buy backs, and I was wondering how difficult it was to get that done. I have already told my service writer that if this cant be fixed in a reasonable amount of time, I want bought out, and to order a 2009 5 speed. Any input I can get would be great.
It will likely depend on the lemon law in MO. Most states seem to be that you have to give the dealer 3 opportunities to fix non-safety issue, or one failed opportunity to fix a safety issue such as no brake pressure. If that is the case in MO, and since they have already failed their first 2 opportunities to fix the safety issue, you can tell GM right now you want them to buy it back. You can take it through lemon law if necessary, but a willing buyback will be much easier. I recommend first reading the specifics for the lemon law in MO so you know where you truly stand.

http://www.autopedia.com/html/LemonL...lemonlaw2.html
http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/MO_LemonGuide.html
http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/state_laws/missouri.htm
Old 09-23-2008, 01:48 PM

So what exactly is going wrong? What no brakes?
Old 09-23-2008, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
So what exactly is going wrong? What no brakes?

Vacume is low after sitting for a while and has to build up to provide power brakes.

The anti lock system is adjusted to help provide assistance.

What most are getting is not the loss of brakes but the loss of power assist. The pedal has littl feel and has to be stepped on hard. It will viberate a little with the anti lock system.

The brakes are there you just have to step on them very hard if the vacume is low.

It feels like any car with no power brakes if the car is shut off coasting down a drive way. If you have never had a car do this before it can freak you out.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:57 PM

I just brought mine in for Service with the brake issue. They reprogrammed the Electronic Brake Computer or something but I did make a point to talk with the service manager and explain to him what I have been reading regarding this issue and he assured me that GM is working on a more permanent fix and this is a band-aide. He said not to be suprised if I get a recall notice within the next few months.

Since I had it fixed the problem is a little better but is not perfect. I usually let the car warm up 1 - 2 mins at most but since I just had it fixed yesterday I decided to test it this morning by not letting it warm up. It did seem better but definately not perfect.

If the problem returns I plan on raising hell and I am sure since I have had the car for more than 5 months a buy back is not an option outside the lemon law but I hope to raise enough hell to try to get the performance tune done for free or for at least cheaper.

Quick Reply: 2008 HHR SS Brake issue/buy back