SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

2008 SS Clutch Covered Under Warranty???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:21 PM

2008 SS Clutch Covered Under Warranty???

My clutch has slipped randomly in 5th and sometimes 4th for literally 20k miles and over a year. No worse today then when I first noticed it. I talked to the dealer when it first started and they said it was my buck, no way covered under warranty. However, post 7 from the following link from ChevyManager sure does make it sound like the clutch and PP is included up to 2010 models?

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/07-09-10-11-powertrain-parts-coverage-list-22231/

Can anyone confirm???
Old 12-11-2010, 04:11 PM

Looking that over , It would seem that just about everything that makes it go is covered , Including the clutch, Wow , That's probally why they ommited that from the 2010's . I thought that it was a wear and tear item like tires , brakes ,rotors ect. Whats the deal Chevy manager ?
Old 12-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Founding Member

Clutch is covered if it's not worn. Defects only.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:18 PM

Then pretty much not covered .
Old 12-11-2010, 07:59 PM

I'm just confused as to why I have the random slippage issue. When it first started at like 25k and I took it in they inspected it for any gearbox oil leakage on the surfaces and clutch wear and found nothing. Said the clutch disc looked great with plenty of surface. From like 30-45k it never did it again. Now that I'm at 50k it's started agani randomly and I'd bet the disc looks the same as probably 90% of my mileage has been interstate. I've been told our clutch is "self adjusting" whatever that means and once it starts slipping it's toast....but my SS doesn't support that arguement. From years of working on manual cars I'd bet my bottom dollar that I have a weak PP (and likely have since day 1).....but getting the "General" to agree with me will be a hard task. Unless the fingers are bent I doubt they even have the equipment to confirm PP force (or lack thereof).
Old 12-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jonboyb
I'm just confused as to why I have the random slippage issue. When it first started at like 25k and I took it in they inspected it for any gearbox oil leakage on the surfaces and clutch wear and found nothing. Said the clutch disc looked great with plenty of surface. From like 30-45k it never did it again. Now that I'm at 50k it's started agani randomly and I'd bet the disc looks the same as probably 90% of my mileage has been interstate. I've been told our clutch is "self adjusting" whatever that means and once it starts slipping it's toast....but my SS doesn't support that arguement. From years of working on manual cars I'd bet my bottom dollar that I have a weak PP (and likely have since day 1).....but getting the "General" to agree with me will be a hard task. Unless the fingers are bent I doubt they even have the equipment to confirm PP force (or lack thereof).
All Hydraulic clutches are self adjusting, after factory..

You may have a partially collapsed pressure plate, reducing BITE. (as You suspect)..
Old 12-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Banned

I had mine done under warranty but thats because my throw out bearing went out at like 2k miles. So they actually gave me a new clutch n such too cus it was worn due to the bearing not disengaging all the way.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:35 AM

Unless you can show a history of taking it in constantly, they are not gonna warranty a clutch with 50K miles on it.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:45 AM

Actually I do have a pretty good history of taking it in but it was all in the 25-30k range because like I said it stopped until about 45k.

I actually just went back and located my old thread about the slipping clutch....and ironically it was during the onset of winter temps that I had issues (Nov-Jan). Once the weather warmed up it stopped (hence the mileage from 30-45k). Today was the coldest day we've had in GA this year and it slipped probably the worst I've noticed.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by jonboyb
Today was the coldest day we've had in GA this year and it slipped probably the worst I've noticed.
Yea, my drive into Smyrna at 5:30 this morning was quite chilly......

Quick Reply: 2008 SS Clutch Covered Under Warranty???