SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

2009 SS Clutch Slave Bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 05:19 PM

Exclamation 2009 SS Clutch Slave Bleeding

Hi All,
New to the forum. New to HHR (love these things, already own 2), Not new to working on vehicles.

I searched, but couldn't find my exact problem (unless it is buried under another thread title...). So, sorry if this is repetitive.

My issue is I just installed a LUK clutch kit in my 09 I purchased cheap because it needed a new clutch (I'll share the destruction pictures of the original, if anyone wants to see it - it was a doozy). The install went as planned and I was able to clean / repair and paint a lot of items that needed it during the install. But, before I even started, I was skeptical of the clutch bleeding procedure GM outlines. I have the factory service manual and looking at the clutch hydraulic system, I'm not sure how fluid is going to get from point a to point b other than via gravity (as most of you probably know, the bleed screw is not the last item as the fluid travels to its final destination of the slave cylinder). GM states to put about 15 inches of mercury vacuum on the reservoir and that is going to magically suck all the air out, way down in the slave cylinder???

I of course used the bleed screw to get the fluid down (air out) as far as I could through the system. I applied the vacuum like GM says to (about 35 times) and it seems like I still don't have all of the air out of the system. The clutch works 90% of the time, but it always starts engaging just after lift-off from the floorboard. The 10% it doesn't work, I have to pump it a couple of times, then it goes into gear and works the same as it does the other 90% of the time...

So, has anyone found a better way to bleed this system? I feel there isn't much air left in the system, but there is still some, that I just can't get out.

I've always thought SAABs were decent cars - never owned one, but people I talked to have really liked them. But, I'm not a big fan of this transaxle and its clutch hydraulic setup. All slave cylinders I've ever dealt with in the past had a bleed screw as the last item in the path of the clutch fluid from the master cylinder on down.

Anyway, any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm a firm believer you're never to old to learn anything. So, if any of y'all that have performed this same job and had the clutch work great 100% of the time, please share your wisdom. And, also, it does have a new master cylinder. The only thing I didn't replace were the lines, and I don't have any leaks. If it worked the way it does 90% of the time, 100% of the time, I would think it's just a LUK engineering issue. But, since it seems like there is still air in there, somewhere, I feel it's a bleeding procedure issue that the parts the GM (or SAAB) engineers designed don't allow the fix to be as obvious as it should be.

Sincerely,
Robert
Old 04-06-2020, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Robert welcome to the site, I saw this method in a Cobalt site

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-...way-2-a-38452/

It’s worth a look and read, and possibly try the procedure
Old 04-07-2020, 01:16 AM

You’re supposed to prefill the throwout bearing
Old 04-07-2020, 08:38 AM

Air seeks the highest point in an oil system. Note the part about repeat 6-7 times or until no more bubbles in reservoir.

The procedure from Cobalt forum is the same as the shop manual.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:14 AM
Administrator

With the tip about the one person bleeder tool?
Old 04-07-2020, 09:28 AM

Mighty Vac metal is the special tool specified. I guess they patented it before Kent-Moore found out about it.

Mighty Vac is available at Harbor Freight at greatly reduced prices.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Air seeks the highest point in an oil system. Note the part about repeat 6-7 times or until no more bubbles in reservoir.

The procedure from Cobalt forum is the same as the shop manual.
if you prefill the tob, you only have to bleed the air out of the line and you don’t risk damaging the tob. By the way OP, if you’re changing it out, use an lnf tob, f35 clutch pipe and distribution block
Old 04-07-2020, 12:35 PM

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, the job is already finished and I'm left trying to sort this out with it all back together and running (albeit not 100%).

Pre-filling the slave cylinder would have been great information to know before it all went back together, but I've never seen that mentioned anywhere in the GM service manual, or online in any of the other videos or threads I read. I've attached the GM service manual procedure for grins.

Maybe I can get me a syringe and a very small hose that will snake down into the slave cylinder and I can slowly fill it up from the bottom that way.

Again, thanks for the quick replies and the advice. I still love driving this thing. It's not the fastest car I own, or the 2nd fastest, but it is a hoot to drive, nonetheless!

Sincerely,
Robert
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Document ID_ 2127556.pdf (100.3 KB, 102 views)
Old 04-07-2020, 12:59 PM

The procedure you attached looks like it's not for HHR. That's not what mine looked like anyway.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
The procedure you attached looks like it's not for HHR. That's not what mine looked like anyway.
The link he posted is for a base model 5 speed hhr

Quick Reply: 2009 SS Clutch Slave Bleeding