SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

2010 SS: P0299 and more...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 08:00 PM
JSK

...I'll start researching a way to test the MAF, because it was plugged in properly (checked this afternoon).

The air filter element also appears clean (it's a K&N).

Tomorrow I'll be getting to the turbo to see if it spins.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:13 PM

Too much oil on K&N filter can foul MAF.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:16 PM
JSK

Thanks - the filter seemed dry, but I'll try to see if a tissue draws up any oil and I'll check the air intake tube to see if it's oily too.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
RPD, not RFD.
Not having one, do you have the ability to bring up any parameters with this? The fact that his codes are all MAF related as was suggested tells me either the MAF has failed completely, frequency and Air Inlet Temp 1 or there is a wiring issue.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by DrLoch
Not having one, do you have the ability to bring up any parameters with this? The fact that his codes are all MAF related as was suggested tells me either the MAF has failed completely, frequency and Air Inlet Temp 1 or there is a wiring issue.
Yes. Air inlet temp, air/fuel ratio, cam phaser angle and spark advance are some of the readings on the RPD.
Not sure where the RPD gets it's air inlet temp reading from. I seem to recall someone stating the SS has 2 different sensor locations for this. But... that's where it gets way over my tech ability.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:55 AM

The first AIT is the MAF, the second is the lower map sensor.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:33 PM
JSK

- the air temp that the RPD showed was always a degree or two from the outside temp, fwiw
- The K&N seems clean and not saturated with oil, and the tubes are all dry
- The MAF seems dry, I removed it and looked closely in sunlight and I don't see anything obviously wrong
- can't find any loose vacuum lines up top (haven't gotten underneath car yet)
- the pipe from air filter box to turbo is clean and dry, with only a little gummy oil near its end
- the turbo spins by hand, seems smooth (can't feel any crunchiness when i turn the impeller)

The engine bay and inside of air cleaner box is dusty... owner was in dusty Oklahoma farmland. Although I can't see anything obvious on the MAF sensor, I guess I could clean it with MAF cleaner to see if it makes a difference, eh? ...it looks like I'd need a multimeter to test the MAF sensor, but I don't have one. ...i hate to just start throwing parts at the problem...

at least it seems like the turbo itself is ok
Old 02-01-2016, 02:43 PM
Administrator

I'd clean the MAF sensor with a quality MAF sensor spray cleaner, and go from there.
One step at a time, I believe Sinabu had this issue a few weeks ago.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:51 PM
JSK

Thanks Oldblue - I read through Sinabu's posts - he did have an issue but not directly relevant to mine. His posts DID lead me to others though, which increased my knowledge about what to look for when I can finally get under that thing to look for wastegate and/or intercooler piping and/or wiring issues. I'll be getting MAF sensor spray cleaner too.

I hope that will be tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I'd clean the MAF sensor with a quality MAF sensor spray cleaner, and go from there.
One step at a time, I believe Sinabu had this issue a few weeks ago.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:57 AM

Check the plastic ends on the intercooler.

Quick Reply: 2010 SS: P0299 and more...