SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Battery ventilation

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:32 AM

Battery ventilation

Somewhere I read that our batteries need to be ventilated. If so, how do I tell if the ventilation has been hooked up properly?

Thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Rest In Peace

Look at the Battery.

On the OEM Delco battery there is just a small tube from the upper side of the battery going out through a rubber grommet, pretty easy to see.

I replaced my battery with a high end high powered one for my audio and video install, no vent in it. Hasnt been a concern. I left the tube residing in the grommet, thats Vented.

Name:  4315d93c.jpg
Views: 2310
Size:  50.6 KB

Guess I live Dangerously.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:06 PM

I don't see any ventilation tube on a replacement I bought. That why I was asking. So, is it needed?
Old 05-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Deceased

Yes its needed, as the battery is charged by the alternator it "off gasses" and produces hydrogen gas which is highly flammable and explosive. Plus the battery will occasionally vent liquid electrolyte, and you don't want that highly corrosive fluid in your spare tire well.

Its important to use the proper battery in an HHR with the external venting configuration, unless you go with an Optima gel cell battery.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:59 PM

I got the new battery from NTB and they swear it is the one required for the car.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

If it doesn't have the vent tube, then it is not the correct replacement. Also the vent tube battery for the HHR is usually much higher in price.
I would take it back and ask NTB how you're supposed to hook up the vent tube to their so-called required replacement. Then ask for the "correct" replacement battery.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:28 PM

The battery stock in the HHR is what refurd as a flooded flat plate battery, will vent when the on charge the cell voltage reaches 2.36 VPC [ volts per cell ] hydrogen gas is then vented 4 percent per volume is explosive, it is lighter than air and will escape to the hightest point it can find.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
If it doesn't have the vent tube, then it is not the correct replacement. Also the vent tube battery for the HHR is usually much higher in price.
I would take it back and ask NTB how you're supposed to hook up the vent tube to their so-called required replacement. Then ask for the "correct" replacement battery.
Exactly, even though it may fit, if it does not have the connection for the vent tube to vent the gasses outside, it is NOT the correct battery for the HHR. Since the battery is inside the passenger compartment, it should vent outside the vehicle.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

X 5, GM did NOT add a "vent to outside" for looks..
Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by sleeper
X 5, GM did NOT add a "vent to outside" for looks..
You mean I've been pointing out my "Vent Tube" at the Cruise In's for nothing, dang.

Have you noticed that we're seeing a trend lately with some posts like, "the guys at NTB said", or "NTB said it would fit", or "I've only got 30,000 miles on my HHR but the people at NTB said my struts are leaking and if I don't have them changed the truck will explode and the Mayan's will come back and get us all".

Here in the Carolina's, NTB has a well deserved reputation for doing less than wonderful work, which means I'd take anything they say or do with a grain of salt....and I'd get a second opinion or go someplace with competent people behind the counter.

Seriously Velocity, take the battery back, get your money back, and head to your dealer or a good auto parts store like Advance, Autozone, NAPA, etc. You need to put the proper battery in, or you're just asking for trouble.

Quick Reply: Battery ventilation