SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Blow-by catch can

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 PM

Blow-by catch can

Turbo cars under boost make the PVC valve leak a little, and cause a slight pressure in the crankcase that causes blow-by, that over time can goober up the intake, maf, and even the turbo, I am adding a catch can.
I need to know where the PCV valve is located[since I don't have a manual, with pictures],and how it should be plumbed. "Moon"
Old 07-21-2010, 06:35 AM

Hey "Moon", I haven't looked but I believe the PCV valve is attached to the valve cover.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:22 AM

Its the line that attaches to the intake tract (the little plastic clip on line). I believe the pcv is right there.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by moonsign
Turbo cars under boost make the PVC valve leak a little, and cause a slight pressure in the crankcase that causes blow-by, that over time can goober up the intake, maf, and even the turbo, I am adding a catch can.
I need to know where the PCV valve is located[since I don't have a manual, with pictures],and how it should be plumbed. "Moon"
Moon, I found this instruction sheet for you. I hope it helps.

http://www.accmachtech.com/PCVCatchC...structions.pdf
Old 07-21-2010, 11:03 AM

Moon, go on over to cobaltss dot net com or whatever it is and check a round...... I was reading some over there about just that kind of mod/install.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by moonsign
Moon, check this out too, don't know if this will fit the HHR SS, as far as the mounting goes, but ya never know.

http://www.modernperformance.com/cat...bed3cd4a089465
Old 07-21-2010, 03:40 PM

I am adding a catch can.

Name:  c4catchcan.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  60.4 KB
Old 07-21-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by 09 Silver Bullett
Moon, check this out too, don't know if this will fit the HHR SS, as far as the mounting goes, but ya never know.

http://www.modernperformance.com/cat...bed3cd4a089465
That looks easy enough....
Old 07-21-2010, 10:07 PM

The Primary PCV is integral with the valve cover and feeds directly into the intake. There are also two other relevant connections that vent into the intake if blowby builds up to a higher than normal level.

One connects "post intercooler" to the intake manifold, the other connects just before the turbo inlet (see photo). There is a one-way check valve that is inline on the hose to the intake to prevent boost pressure from entering the crankcase, and if that fails you can "coke up" the whole intake, so that is a critical feature, and if you re-plumb things, make sure you don't eliminate any fittings or especially, this critical check valve.

I checked the intake tract at about 35,000 miles, and everything was still dry, so I ended up not installing a catch can after considering it.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:25 PM

c2vette: After doing some checking online, and looking at the present setup on our engines, and seeing how it's hooked up, I think I'll leave well enough alone. It can be done,but looks like stock setup has it covered pretty good, and the plumbing won't be real easy, and redundant to the stock setup.
Got the catch can in the mail today, looks real good, but I only paid $18.00 for it, so no biggie. Maybe I'll just take it over to Oakland, and sell it as a "Crack" pipe.
Thanks guys for all the input. It was a nice "Pipe dream" for a few days, anyway. "Moon"

Quick Reply: Blow-by catch can