SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Brakes and TPMS

Old 10-10-2016, 07:09 PM

Brakes and TPMS

Time to do some maintenance that the last owner got out from under on my SS with all the upgrades by selling it just before 100k. Brakes, rotors, tires, TPMS. Tires are pretty straightforward, and I think I've got a handle on the brake pads, but TPMS confuses me. Anyone have numbers on these? It's got the 18" premium wheels and Brembo calipers on the front. I'm ordering from RockAuto, and if I've figured it out right, there's just one product that will fit
SS Model; aluminum WHL(PZ4), LOW TIRE PRESSURE IND(UJ6); Used Together With NUT 15234846, 315 MHZ, CLAMP IN, HIGH PERFORMANCE $39.99
It also leads me to believe I need to purchase the nut?
Will the Owner's Manual help me set them up once installed, or do they need to be programmed?
Old 10-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Technical Moderator

TPMS is not an upgrade. Are you sure they are not there?

Your Owner Manual will tell you how to learn the positions. It may have changed on your year. Installing new TPM sensors is just a matter of resetting the positions after you put the new ones in the wheels.

You can use rubber stem (made for TPM). All the parts books insist on the metal stems, but most came with rubber. Your choice.

Check here for part numbers: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/comm...-part-i-48833/

Ebay is a good source. The 315 MHz is the important part
Old 10-10-2016, 07:41 PM

I didn't suggest TPMS is an upgrade, however they do need to be replaced, as is recommended around 100k
Thanks for the parts numbers thread though - I looked in that section and must have missed that thread. TPMS is in there, but Brake pads are not, but I am pretty sure I've got the right ones on RockAuto
Old 10-10-2016, 08:31 PM
Technical Moderator

Recommended by whom? The people that sell them?

They do have batteries that wear out, but there are a lot of 2007s out there with the originals. I don't know what mileage could have to do with battery life.

Last section of post 4 of the link.

" with all the upgrades by selling it just before 100k. Brakes, rotors, tires, TPMS" isn't a suggestion?

I read that to mean the PO took the calipers, the tires, the wheels, the brake pads, the rotors off the car. Now I don't know what you meant at all.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Getting the Brembo brake pad part #'s can be a little tricky on some sites. I've done numerous searches for replacement Brembo pads. I don't need them yet but just checking around to see what's available when I'm ready.
I've seen some advertise them as Brembo pads but then a cross reference will show they fit other non-Brembo cars.

Just do your homework on the part # and make sure before you order any pads.

The stock pads(Fedora I think ?) are good but produce too much brake dust.
I'm leaning towards a set of EBC Red Stuff pads when I need them.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Recommended by whom? The people that sell them?

They do have batteries that wear out, but there are a lot of 2007s out there with the originals. I don't know what mileage could have to do with battery life.

Last section of post 4 of the link.

" with all the upgrades by selling it just before 100k. Brakes, rotors, tires, TPMS" isn't a suggestion?

I read that to mean the PO took the calipers, the tires, the wheels, the brake pads, the rotors off the car. Now I don't know what you meant at all.
Well, me. Since it's been almost 10 years, almost 100k miles, and they are starting to tell me on almost a daily basis to service them...

I agree you're pretty confused, though I'm not sure how you got that anyone took anything off. My 09 SS with all the upgrades (Brembo front brakes, 18" aluminum wheels, stage 1 turbo, Pioneer sound, etc. (Only meant to clarify exactly what I have so that anyone offering input on OEM numbers knew which numbers I needed)) has nearly 100k miles. The previous owner got out from under a few upcoming repairs by selling it when he did. Now I have the pleasure of getting them all replaced... Brakes all around, possibly rotors, tires and TPMS, and even tie rod bushings on at least one side.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

No offense, but saying the word "upgrades" may be part of the confusion. It's really just "options".

Kind of had me confused when I first read the post.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:53 PM
Technical Moderator

16 - 9 = almost 10? You didn't say they were malfunctioning, just some vague recommendation that I have never heard.

I am too old to read texting talk.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
16 - 9 = almost 10? You didn't say they were malfunctioning, just some vague recommendation that I have never heard.

I am too old to read texting talk.
This is getting needlessly complicated. Thanks for your help thus far, but I don't want to defend every comment I've made. I shall abandon my use of "upgrades" in the future in favor of "options" though.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:32 AM

If you get new TPMS, and your HHR is a 09+, you can re-program by doing the following:

1) Insert the key into the ignition, and turn to "ON" position (right before you start the car - you will see your dash illuminate, and warning chime will start)
2) press and hold both the Lock AND Unlock buttons on the key fob - Car will do 2 short beeps
3) Either fill tire, or let air out in the following order - Driver Front, Pass. Front, Pass. Rear, Driver rear. Car makes turn signal brighter for specific tire (Ex, front driver turn signal bright for when you need to fill or release air from driver front tire). **Car Will Beep ONCE when it programs that specific tire**
4) Once completed, car will beep twice. Go to your DIC and see if you're getting readings for each sensor - Repeat steps 1-3 if you're not getting a reading for all 4 tires.

You MIGHT be able to do it if your HHR is older than an 09, but I'm pretty sure I read on here this is only possible 2009 - 2011 model years. I've done this with both my 09LT and 10SS.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes and TPMS