SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Car won't shift out of Park, Key won't come out of ignition

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 01:05 PM

Car won't shift out of Park, Key won't come out of ignition

I grew up with Chevy's. The Jenning's of Jenning's Chevrolet were my next door neighbors while growing up. I have to say, I am getting more than a little discouraged with Chevy.

I have a 2008 HHR with 130,000 miles on it. I have replaced the headlights about ten times, the rear lights almost as much, the power steering motor had to be replaced -- $600 -- which went out while my 16 year old daughter was driving it -- she could have been killed -- and they are saying that my year is not included in the recall. REALLY?. Now the key gets stuck in the ignition and half the time the car won't move out of Park. I am going to the dealer today to see what's up, but I don't have the money to do any more than the usual maintenance on this car!

In the meantime, I am driving a 1985 Chrysler mini-van that I bought used, and it runs like a champ.

Maybe my car was made on a Monday, and everyone on the line wasn't feeling so hot. Whatever the reason, I am very discouraged with this car.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:14 PM

Welcome to the site

Sorry your having problems but there is lots of info on here. Use the search bar at the top of the page and you will find solutions to most of your problems.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:38 PM
Technical Moderator

I hope you know about those Chrysler mini van transmissions. There are 2 types; ones that haven't broken yet and ones that are in junkyards.

Get educated about the current recalls before you start slamming thing around. The shifter thing can be partially fixed with some WD40.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Goldie6175
I grew up with Chevy's. The Jenning's of Jenning's Chevrolet were my next door neighbors while growing up. I have to say, I am getting more than a little discouraged with Chevy.

I have a 2008 HHR with 130,000 miles on it. I have replaced the headlights about ten times, the rear lights almost as much, the power steering motor had to be replaced -- $600 -- which went out while my 16 year old daughter was driving it -- she could have been killed -- and they are saying that my year is not included in the recall. REALLY?. Now the key gets stuck in the ignition and half the time the car won't move out of Park. I am going to the dealer today to see what's up, but I don't have the money to do any more than the usual maintenance on this car!

In the meantime, I am driving a 1985 Chrysler mini-van that I bought used, and it runs like a champ.

Maybe my car was made on a Monday, and everyone on the line wasn't feeling so hot. Whatever the reason, I am very discouraged with this car.
Hello Goldie6175,

I apologize for these issues that you are facing with your HHR. I would be happy to help you. Can you please send me a PM with your VIN, contact info and a preferred dealership to call? I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon to possibly discuss some options for you.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care