SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Clueless Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 07:28 PM

Angry Clueless Dealership

My 2010 HHR SS with boost kit has been at the dealer for repair for the last 8 weeks and they want me to take it back unrepaired. The turbo quit working and check engine light came on. It was driveable at low power. The dealer says that the problem is an overboost. They attempted to adjust the waste gate but cannot get rid of the check engine light.

I have contacted GM customer service and I am waiting on a reply.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

ol dutch.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:05 PM

Hi dutch, hopefully a moderator will move this to either it's own thread or tack it to the end of one of the other overboost threads like this one:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-s...estions-55719/

You need the code pulled, in california, it seems auto parts stores aren't reading codes for us anymore, you may have to go to a mechanic, jiffy lube, or buy your own reader.

If your code is p0234 like many of us have had, the above link has a lot of good information.

to the forums!
Old 04-04-2016, 09:08 PM

Well...your options are obviously limited. If you're not capable of the repairs yourself you'll need someone you trust to fix it. Obviously it doesn't take 8 weeks for diagnosis, dealers seem to be reluctant to fix/upgrade our little SS trucklettes lately. The problem is obviously finding someone you trust. Our turbo systems are pretty complex for your average shade tree mechanic. And let's not forget direct injection and the whole mess of sensors and modules to get the darn thing working!

What's your mileage? Are you out of warranty, most of us are. I'm not sure what the dealer has against completely fixing the problem, makes no sense to me whatsoever. From what I recall, overboost is generally either the wastegate/diverter or the boost control solenoid. So, not really that complicated for a competent technician. Another thing you won't find at most dealers...

Oh...just noticed, WELCOME to the forum! RJ and I obviously had the same idea
Old 04-04-2016, 09:32 PM
Technical Moderator

What part of the story is missing?

Call me cynical.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Call me irresponsible! But just call me! Maybe it's late, but just call me, and I'll be around!!

Welcome to the site, Dutch, you probably need this part to fix your issue, the GM techs don't want to suggest you get a new one cause theirs is attached to a turbo and costs close to a grand!

http://www.full-race.com/store/efr-t...ent-kit-1.html

It in the thread link
Old 04-05-2016, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Call me irresponsible! But just call me! Maybe it's late, but just call me, and I'll be around!!

Welcome to the site, Dutch, you probably need this part to fix your issue, the GM techs don't want to suggest you get a new one cause theirs is attached to a turbo and costs close to a grand!

BorgWarner EFR Boost Control Solenoid Replacement Kit - Full-Race.com

It in the thread link
Welcome to the site.

OB my guess is that you are correct. But without more information it's a shot in the dark. The fact that've been adjusting on the waste gate rod doesn't sound promising but can be fixed.

8 weeks at a dealer... Certainly someone I would trust with my car.

Are you able to do the work yourself? If not you need to find someone in your area that does. Some of the import repair places have very good people that can help you out.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:35 AM

Unhappy Eight weeks at the dealer.

Thanks for all the feedback.
The dealer still has my car. They are putting it back in the original condition - removing parts that did not fix the issue except for one part that needed to be replaced.
My 2010 Red SS has 45,000 miles on it. Most enjoyable car I've ever owned. The dealer that has it installed the boost kit.
That install had to be repaired because the mass air flow sensors were not installed cleanly - the air duct had been epoxied. That was replaced later. Otherwise no major problem until this happened.
I need a little time to check out you posts - codes etc.
I am also waiting for GM customer care to respond and and i am checking out the warranty issues - original drive train and an extended warranty I purchased.

I will not pick up the car from the dealer until I have a good plan of action.

Thanks again.

ol dutch
Old 04-05-2016, 01:13 PM
Technical Moderator

A) what are you calling a "boost kit"? GMTU Stage 1?

B) are there any codes? If the CEL was on there were; what are they? We are all wasting time without the OBDii codes.

C) find a new dealer, any GM dealer can do anything another can. Buick/GMC/Cadillac/Chevy.

D) I did move these posts because I don't know what they could possibly have to do with the thread they originally were in.

"Any ideas on how to proceed?"

Find out what the codes are. Find out what they mean. Finds out what they were doing in 8 weeks. find out what did need replacing. Find out what they tried and why.

Sounds to me like you have not asked any questions.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Administrator

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cluel...1M67KFGVMIM%3A

Like totally, dude!
Old 04-05-2016, 04:36 PM

Unhappy Boost Kit

Boost Kit = Chevrolet Performance 19212670 - Chevrolet Performance LNF Turbocharger Upgrade Kit.

I am working on getting the codes from the dealer. Need some time.

ol dutch

Quick Reply: Clueless Dealership