SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Coolant has been warmer than I like

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 06:12 PM

Coolant has been warmer than I like

It's been over a year since I put the new LDK/LHU engine in.

When ambient temperature is high, I see temps well over 200*. This is at freeway speeds, 70-75 mph.

Coolant levels, both under the cap and in the coolant recovery tank, are never low in the mornings. The engine oil is never low either.

As soon as my new headlight assemblies get here, I'm going to install this:

As some of you probably remember, the old engine was flowing a lot of oil vapor through the PCV system.. Excessive crankcase pressure due to a clogged oil catch can.

So I'm thinking the old intercooler has a nice coating of dried oil inside of it, greatly reducing its ability to cool the air from the turbo.

Some of the reviews at ZZP mentioned that they did not know which end is up. Others said that it was a difficult install, and that the intercooler hung down too far.

The mounting points are offset, so mounting it one way would cause it to hang down further than the other way. I am thinking that the orientation shown in the picture above will mount it higher, so that is how I am going to try to do it.

The inlet and outlet are centered on the mounting points, so it could mount either way, and the charge pipes would still connect.

I may make this into a how-to.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Looks like it’s been done, sort of. But you can add in the tools required and measurements to get it in as high as possible

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-0l...rcooler-36505/
Old 08-03-2021, 09:19 PM

I installed that same intercooler from ZZP that you are installing.

It went pretty good, but I did have to drill a few new holes in the "L" bracket that mounts the intercooler. It's supposed to mount to the factory intercooler bracket holes/nuts in the bumper but mine were off a bit. Also a bit of a struggle to get one of the hoses on.

The intercooler in the link that OldBlue provided shows a slightly different intercooler than RJ has. ZZP makes two of them, a tall one and a lower one. The tall one is the one in the link. You can see that it does not have the offset mounts that RJ mentions. The tall one cools better but hangs down low and can be damaged easily. The lower one is a safer bet to prevent intercooler damage from parking stops, etc.

Steve
Old 08-03-2021, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

RJ- Maybe a good flush of the cooling system using a cleaner, before you add that new I/C.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:29 PM

Yep, it's a daily driver, so I opted for the smaller one.

The headlights were supposed to ship today, but it's already been a month and a half, so who knows. Really looking forward to getting these parts on!

Old 08-04-2021, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Lotsa photos! Wish the border was open, I could come over and help you lift the bumper cover off ! Pass you wrenches!
Old 08-04-2021, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Don't look now, but might be heading for another lockdown.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Don't look now, but might be heading for another lockdown.
Can’t believe Canada would open the U.S. border right now.

Old 08-08-2021, 05:04 PM
Administrator

It’s wild! We have such low counts up here, and are opening up the border , one way mind you! To the possibility of children under twelve bringing the virus here! It would be much better to wait till the numbers are down on both sides of the border.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Thanks, now back to the thread!

We’ve hijacked this one enough! Savvy!

Quick Reply: Coolant has been warmer than I like