SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Dash lamps

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 01:10 PM

Dash lamps

2008 HHR SS
Don't know if this would be unique to an SS but...

On a road trip from Tulsa, OK. home to Lawton, OK. Stopped in OKC for fuel. Started car and it ran fine, no issues there, but I noticed as I was getting back up on the highway my dash lights (outside temp/odometer) and the clock lights in the radio were not on. No DIC lights (or controls) at all, no radio. Other dash components were working, A/C-heat, lighter (had GPS plugged in), turn signals, electric windows, etc. Everything stayed off for about 5 miles or so then came back to life. Naturally first thing I thought was a fuse but when it all came back...??? No error codes popped up.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Banned

Sounds like what happened to mine. A fluke.. Mine popped up with a Low Tire Pressure light (false) and a Battery light ( was charging a bit high at the time ).

Had it checked out at AZ and they said that I MAY need a new alternator, but not 100% sure.

If I were you, I would check all your fuse banks and make sure they are tightly down, and also your main battery cables, and make sure they are tightly connected just to be safe.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:44 PM

I would also get the battery tested. We have seen failing battery cause strange electrical glitches if the voltage drops too low when cranking.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:00 PM
Administrator

And to add to the electrical pointers don't forget the ground wires, down to the left of the oil filter housing, you'll need a 13 mm wrench, and up on the driver's side of the rad cradle , just behind and down from the hood bumper
Old 03-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Technical Moderator

Somebody had a problem with the dimmer going bad.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:20 PM

Re: Dash lamps

Hi Okie SS,

I apologize for the recent concern you had with the lights in your HHR. I can see how the random occurrence would be confusing. If you would like to send me a private message with your complete contact information, VIN, mileage, and preferred dealership I would be more than happy to look into this for you. Either way, please let me know if you were able to resolve this concern.

Have a great day,

Kayla K.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by OKIE SS
2008 HHR SS
Don't know if this would be unique to an SS but...

On a road trip from Tulsa, OK. home to Lawton, OK. Stopped in OKC for fuel. Started car and it ran fine, no issues there, but I noticed as I was getting back up on the highway my dash lights (outside temp/odometer) and the clock lights in the radio were not on. No DIC lights (or controls) at all, no radio. Other dash components were working, A/C-heat, lighter (had GPS plugged in), turn signals, electric windows, etc. Everything stayed off for about 5 miles or so then came back to life. Naturally first thing I thought was a fuse but when it all came back...??? No error codes popped up.

Any thoughts?