SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Dejon Powerhouse Wastegate Spring

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:31 PM

Dejon Powerhouse Wastegate Spring

I installed the Dejon Wastegate Spring about a year ago and at first it seemed to be about the same or maybe just a little better throttle response.

Over the last couple weeks I was hearing a very faint rubbing sound or grinding sound when the car would kick down from the high idle upon cold start-up. It would go away as soon as the car was warm. Yesterday I had to run out for some errands and I had the air conditioner on cause my son was with me and was not feeling very good. I almost never run the air conditioner. I was driving normal and made a long gradual left turn onto a major 45mph roadway and began accelerating. I lost all my boost and could not get any boost and the faint rubbing/grinding sound got very loud everytime I would rev or try to accelerate. I stopped at the store for a few minutes and when I returned and started the car I had a CEL and no boost. The rubbing/grinding sound was now constant and I limped home.

This morning I pulled the SS into the garage and it sounded like the rubbing/grinding was coming from the intake(K&N series 63 with open box). I pulled that all apart and other than about 1.5-3oz of filthy oil in the intake pipe at the turbo all looked fine. I then took a shop towel and rubbed it inside the turbo inlet and it came out covered in sticky black goo(thats the technical term) I wiped out as much as I could and decided to pull the waste gate spring and diaphram to inspect them. To my surprise the diaphram was sucked completely into the wastgate body and the Dejon Spring was broken and had extensive metal shavings and wear at the ends of the spring. I reached into the wastegate body and pulled the diaphram out and it was still in ok shape. I took a clean shop towel and wiped out all the metal shavings from the opening and re-installed the stock spring, diaphram, and intake tube. While I was doing all this I had removed the ecm/pcm fuse to reset the CEL.

I tried to start the car and it ran for about 5 seconds and stalled. No CEL. I restarted the car and took it around the block a few times and it was idleing really rough and backfiring but still no CEL. The turbo was spooling and holding boost at about 22psi even though the car was running like poop at idle and during downshifts. I shut the car down and let it sit for about 5 minutes and restarted it and it is now running great. I suspect that when I wiped out the turbo inlet I loosend up some gunk that fouled a sensor reading as it worked through the exhaust and when I restarted it it got a good reading.

Long story short the Dejon Spring appeared to be a better product, but clearly it was junk.

With the stock spring back in place I am seeing much more consistant boost where as with the Dejon Spring I had inconsistant boost.

Question: Is the oily crap in the turbo inlet normal? Could this have been caused by the wastegate being stuck in the open position?

I am still considering taking it into the dealer since it is still under warranty if the excess oil in the intake is abnormal.

End of rant!

SPPD
Old 07-10-2010, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the post, Good luck. Anyone else have this issue. ?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:53 PM

PCV system....thats why a few folks here inquired about a catch tank..to filter all the oil out...also why these things smoke on cold start.....oh yeah, seems to a normal thing.....nature of the beast and all that...Im sure theres a thread on it.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:48 PM

That's exactly why I asked about having a catch can installed. It's to prevent the oil blowby that will eventually build up and gunk the turbo + IC piping.... I saw the thread at CobaltSS.net, but the placement won't work on out SS due to the washer fluid tank.... I'll eventually dig into this and see if I can get something to work.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 PM

I've seen these catch tanks.

I am unfamilar with this. Can some one take a min. and explain.
Oil passed on to turbo, which did damage ?
This is my first turbo car. ( excluding my turbo jet 1966 batmobile, That was a long time ago )

If theres a catch can for the damaging oil , and the washer tank is in the way , I say mod the washer tank to be smaller or move it . ?
Someone help me catch up to this topic please.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by THE BATMAN
I say mod the washer tank to be smaller or move it . ?
Or get rid of it altogether?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:56 PM

my catch can works great and I got a Tial spring but i also got a tial blow off 50mm valve. with a 12lb. spring in it
Old 07-14-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by damronjr
Or get rid of it altogether?
You obviously don't live in NE Ohio.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:57 PM

I need to know more about this catch can, where to hook one up, which one to get. tks "moon"
Old 07-16-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by gcsd3742
my catch can works great and I got a Tial spring but i also got a tial blow off 50mm valve. with a 12lb. spring in it
Do you have any pics of the catch can installed (i.e. which lines to tap and where you located the catch can)?

Thanks!
Allex

Last edited by asanti; 07-16-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: fixed the wording...

Quick Reply: Dejon Powerhouse Wastegate Spring