SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Engine cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 06:28 PM

Engine cutting out

Hi All,
I have a 2009 HHR SS that is giving me super hard time. Its been going on now for almost two years off and on. I went for a short drive and the engine died after starting to cut out like it was misfiring. I started it right back up and it ran fine but with an engine light on. I had it checked and it gave me several sensor errors. Mass air flow, Barometric pressure circuit range, System too rich off idle bank. All of those were the readings I got today after it went dead at a red light. I took it to a dealership and had it tested and they supposedly ran down the codes and wiring and said the engine computer was bad throwing random errors. I spent 1K getting it changed out parts & labor. Went on vacation the next day and after running fine for a week on the way home it started running hot. I changed the thermostat and had to replace the electric fan. I got the coolant flushed and new put in and also had the AC did. Two days later it starting misfiring again and the engine light came back on again. The plugs are one year old. I have 67,000 miles on it. I am at a loss. I am going to call and set another appointment with the dealership again tomorrow for them to check it again. Has anyone ever had problems like this with their HHR SS? Thank you in advance...
Old 08-19-2019, 08:05 PM

We need the code numbers, not the names.
Has the ignition recall been done?

Sounds to me like there is a problem with the connectors on the ECM. Lately we have heard of oil migrating up the wire harness and fouling the pins.
I would also look at the TMAP connector, sometimes it bangs into the AC compressor and causes problems.
Does your SS have the GMTU/Stage 1? If so, the spliced connections made for the upgrade are famous for corroding..
Look at the connection of the large red wire on the side of the under hood fuse box (under the red plastic cap). They have been known to corrode or loosen.

I would not go back to a shop that jumped on a "bad ECM" as the problem. They rarely break. Much more common a wire is frayed.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:35 PM

All of the recalls have been done. When I took it to the dealership for the recalls I had them check the engine light and all of what I wrote before happened. My HHR SS is stock. I paid for the upgrade but when it was to be done they said they couldn't do it and refunded my money so its all stock. I bought it new. I stopped by Advance after it died today and had it checked and these are the codes it gave P0106, P2188 and P0101. I am sure I got ripped on the ECM and will address that with the dealership tomorrow. When they changed it they said it gave a code for the fuel sensor and they took it out and cleaned it and put it back in and it didn't come back on. The crazy part about it is I may get in it now and drive it with no issues (even though the engine light is still on) or I may drive it and it misfire and go dead or part of the drive be normal and part of it be acting up. Its not consistent at all. It seem entirely random when it will drive perfect or act crazy. I will check the TMAP connector to see if I see anything.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:29 PM

Those codes all apply to the MAF sensor. Possibly needs cleaning or somebody forgot to plug it in after an air filter change or a wire is damaged..

What the heck is a "fuel sensor"?
Old 08-19-2019, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
Those codes all apply to the MAF sensor. Possibly needs cleaning or somebody forgot to plug it in after an air filter change or a wire is damaged..

What the heck is a "fuel sensor"?
I'm going to guess he means fuel pressure sensor. It's either at or after the High pressure fuel pump (HPFP). I never really looked to see where it is. Since the SS's ECM does monitor the high side fuel pressure, that's my guess on what it is.
EDIT: And then I found this below. So now.........I don't know which one the dealer fiddled with.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:14 PM

The TMAP sensor hitting the AC line is an issue with the GMTU, shouldn't be a problem with the stock setup.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:13 AM

I went back to check which sensors I had changed recently so I could add it here so everyone trying to help out would know as well.It was three of them, Mass air flow sensor, solenoid TS1014 & solenoid TS1015. New battery, Plugs were changed last year less than 6,000 miles ago. Then the stuff the dealer did as listed in my OP. I am not sure exactly which fuel sensor they were talking about. I had been there for almost 7 hours waiting and was glad to hear it was fixed and I could go. I remember them saying fuel sensor but that was all I remember except the part where they took it out and cleaned it and put it back and it didn't pop up again. So, I have changed all those sensors and the ECM and am still having the original problem I had when it first started. I drove it today (only car I have) to drop off my son at school and it ran fine but then drove four miles further and it started cutting out again. I hit the gas pedal and the RPM's slowly increased and my speed didn't really increase that much at all. No power. After a few minutes it cleared out a bit and got back to around 70% normal or what would be normal if it was running right. On the way to drop off my son I hit the gas and it had full normal power. I called the dealership and am waiting on a call back to get it back in again...
Old 08-20-2019, 07:59 AM

The CEL is on now?

The codes you listed are for the Mass Air Flow sensor; it is either bad or the connection is bad.

Why go to a dealership? They don't know anything the guy down the street doesn't know. In fact less by your statements.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The CEL is on now?

The codes you listed are for the Mass Air Flow sensor; it is either bad or the connection is bad.

Why go to a dealership? They don't know anything the guy down the street doesn't know. In fact less by your statements.
Yes, the CEL is on now with the codes I listed in my previous post. I am trying to find a different mechanic but having no luck so far. I changed the mass air flow sensor and my problem went away for a few days and came back. I put the old one back in and it went away for a few days. I took the new one back because it was under warranty and got a new one. I put it in and my problem went away for a few days and came back. The CEL came on again about the solenoid was bad. I changed both of them and my problem came back. Each time it’s different codes for different sensors. Two things my problem has in common, it keeps coming back after a “new sensor” and it’s a random sensor when it shows up.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:59 PM

Then it is the wires or connectors.

Code numbers! Just because sensor x is in the name of the code doesn't mean the sensor is bad.

Quick Reply: Engine cutting out