SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Engine cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Always different sensors? Yes, loose wires , grounds , any crimp connections in the GMTU upgrade harness.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Then it is the wires or connectors.

Code numbers! Just because sensor x is in the name of the code doesn't mean the sensor is bad.
I don't have the codes for the solenoids or the Mass Air Flow sensor from before, that was last year and I didn't keep a copy of the printouts. I understand just because the computer throws a code it means that sensor is bad. When the problem first showed up over a year ago and I had never had a problem with my car ever I thought if I am just now getting a code maybe it is actually right and replaced the sensors. After replacing them and the problem went away and came back days later I knew I had a different problem. I know light mechanic work and there is always youtube but when it comes to wiring and sensors I am completely lost. That is why I took it to a dealership to be put on their computer and have "experts" fix my problem. I got screwed over and am out almost $2000 now and my problem is worse than it was when I first took it in to be fixed. I don't know where to start looking to find the problem. I may drive five miles and the first mile be perfect (normal) and then the next half mile be cutting out, misfiring and then go back to normal for the rest of the five miles. I may drive my car ten times in a week and one of the ten times I get in and start it up and there is no CEL on at all then drive for a mile and the misfiring starts back and the CEL come back on. From the onset of my issues the Mass Air Flow sensor was the first code. Now after getting a new ECM I have P0101, P2188 and P0106 showing up currently. According to all three codes they are related to the Mass Air Flow sensor. Maybe the connection to the sensor is bad or messed up I don't know. That is why I am here asking for help. I looked at the wires and visibly couldn't see anything wrong with them so I guess I am going to have to find a place or a mechanic that can test the wires. All of the problems are random and also random when they occur. One minute its fine and the next its now and one minute its one thing and another its something different.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Post #20

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...m-59575/page2/
Old 08-20-2019, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Thank you for the link. I will try to find someone to test the wires for me. The dealership said they tested all the wires and they were good before selling me an ECM but its obvious they lied to me.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Sometimes you are the windshield, Some times you are the bug.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:08 PM

I just wanted to post a followup and thank everyone for the help so far. I forgot some details when I made my OP. When I took my car in for the recalls to be done I had them read the CEL and asked them to fix it. I had my oil changed as well. The reason I took it in to get everything done was I was about to go on vacation. I had forgot about that but realized it when I got to speak to a local mechanic about my car. The ECM was installed in my car on a Monday and Tuesday morning I left on vacation about a 7 hour drive there. I didn't have any problems and no CEL all the way there or for the week I was there driving it around. When I was on my way home about 120 miles away my car started running hot or the temp was going above normal. I turned off my AC and kept an eye on it all the way home. After getting home the next day I changed the thermostat and it didn't help. I checked and the electric fan wasn't running so that is why I had to have it replaced. Two days before I could get the electric fan replaced the CEL came back on. When I got in my car to drive to the dealership to get the fan fixed the CEL didn't come on. I told them about it and asked them to check it. When they were finished I asked what the CEL code was and what was it about and I was told it was for the electric fan. I didn't believe it but that is what I was told and even though I didn't believe it that doesn't mean it wasn't for the electric fan. When I spoke to the local mechanic I told him the story and he said if my car worked properly for a little over a week and then everything went nuts after he said most likely it the ECM was bad. He said he recently worked on a HHR and replace the ECM and right after it started going nuts and his client brought it back in and he checked it and said the new ECM was bad and he had to get another one and replace it and after that no more problems. I was thinking chances of replacing the ECM and getting a bad part was not likely but it very well could be. I am not sure but I wanted to add this so everyone helping me solve this had this information. I have an appointment Friday morning at the dealership again. I will let them check it and go from there. Also after seeing all the codes related to the Mass Air Flow sensor I may get them to change the plug & wires for it along with whatever they find just to make sure it isn't the plug or wires. I don't have a tester and the plug & wires being replaced the the Mass Air Flow sensor will be cheaper than buying the tester.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:28 PM
Administrator

I can understand, your story, yes it could be a faulty ECM . Good Luck on Friday.
Please let us know the results.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:57 PM

A multi-tester from Harbor Freight is $5.00 or less.
Any auto parts store will read codes for you.