SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Front Strut Hat Orientation

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 02:23 PM

Front Strut Hat Orientation

I'm replacing front struts on my SS (FE5 suspension). The upper strut hat (aka: upper spring seat, GM #22716379) has a tab on it. Assuming the strut is installed in the car, looking down from the top when standing next to the wheel, what orientation does the tab point to when installed (e.g., 12 o'clock, 9 o'clock, etc.)?

For those scoffers who might come back and say "why didn't you look before you took it apart?"...The spring busted so the orientation got messed up before I ever touched it and I believe the previous owner worked on the other side of the car, so I don't think the opposing side is correct either.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:13 PM

I went out to look. It's not visible from the top. Someone probably knows. Sorry.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
I went out to look. It's not visible from the top. Someone probably knows. Sorry.
You are correct that it's not visible from the top. You have to peek from the bottom and unless its on a lift, you might have difficulty seeing. I just mentioned "from top" in my post so a commentator was clear about its clocking when they replied. Thanks for checking though!
Old 08-01-2020, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry X2.
I had mine apart when putting in the Pedders springs. Honestly don't recall. Almost 10 years and 1 heart attack later, my memory ain't what it used to be.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:49 PM
Administrator

That tab points towards the body , opposite the bracket for the steering knuckle bracket. It should line up with the top end of the coil spring.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Sorry X2.
I had mine apart when putting in the Pedders springs. Honestly don't recall. Almost 10 years and 1 heart attack later, my memory ain't what it used to be.
Sorry to hear about your medical struggles. No worries about the strut hat. But thanks for at least browsing through and tuning in!

Originally Posted by Oldblue
That tab points towards the body , opposite the bracket for the steering knuckle bracket. It should line up with the top end of the coil spring.
12 o'clock by my orientation. Whew, this is great to hear! I had to get them installed so that's how I assembled the struts yesterday, not yet having this feedback. Several search hits on Google indicated it might (but not 100% sure) be 12 o'clock (i.e., opposite steering knuckle bracket). So I took a guess that it might be 12 o'clock. In fact, the slant of the strut hat appeared to be aligned the best when I put it at 12 o'clock as well.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:56 AM
Administrator

And for those in the rust belt, replace the upper spring plates

This plate is shiny and new, the tab that we’re talking about pointing to the left of the photo.

This is the crusty 9 year old piece , the rust scale caused rubbing and crunching while turning and binding the plastic bearing
Old 08-02-2020, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
And for those in the rust belt, replace the upper spring plates

This plate is shiny and new, the tab that we’re talking about pointing to the left of the photo.

This is the crusty 9 year old piece , the rust scale caused rubbing and crunching while turning and binding the plastic bearing
Wow, that's bad!! I'm in Ohio and mine were not real bad. If I own the car long enough to do struts again, I will need to replace them though, at that time. I'm sure they'll be pretty bad.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:21 AM
Administrator

I think I’ll add that to our part number list.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:56 AM

Opposite of the steering knuckle bracket... Doesn't seem like 12 o'clock. We're talking about the bracket that is welded to the strut, right? So they would point towards the engine?

Quick Reply: Front Strut Hat Orientation