SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

GMPU Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 03:34 PM

GMPU Problems

I went 6 months without an issue and loved the kit. However, since January 2012 I have had nothing but problems and the dealer even with GM tech assist is stumped. Multiple codes. Sensor codes, reading 25psi at Idle code(but it was at freeway speed at -10) when set. We have soldered the connections, replaced the turbo (per GM tech). replaced sensors, 5 psi of boost, no boost. random miss fires, goes into limp home mode, but will not always set the check engine light. Still no correction. The car has been with the dealer for weeks. Two weeks this last go around. Now they say they will replace the PCM.

Does anyone have a clue or guidance or this? Is the engineer that designed this still on the board? I'm ex GM and this car was the western regions show vehicle. I'm looking for some help or I'll have to dump this car.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:18 PM

This may not be the solution to your problem, but have the mechanic check all the turbo-related piping connections & clamps. My SS was in and out of the dealer for no-boost issues 3-4 times this past summer without being resolved. I was going to pick the car up after dealer called to say they couldn't find any problems even after it stalled on me and zero boost the last time I took it in. Shortly thereafter, the service manager called again to ask if the mechanic could have a little more time to check something out after he thought about the problem for a while. Apparently, the mechanic found one of the clamps connecting the pipe to the intercooler was loose allowing the pipe to move around on the intercooler inlet (or outlet, don't know which) and not completely seal. Anyway, to make a long and frustrating story not so long, the mechanic tightened up that piping clamp and all the other clamps associated with the turbo piping. I picked up the car and haven't had a boost problem in over 2,000 miles since...knock on wood.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:08 AM

Thanks, I'll ask them to check it. They have had the car 2 weeks now this time. It set a high boost code once, so leaks may not be the issue.