SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Help, Clutch info needed..

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:44 PM

Help, Clutch info needed..

LONG tail of woe but my SS is on it's 3rd transmission and now the clutch slave cylinder has failed. With the first trans change I put in an aftermarket clutch/flywheel/pressure plate and now that things got soaked with brake fluid from the leaking slave cylinder it's been suggested by the mechanic to replace the flywheel (hot spots), clutch plate (soaked with fluid), and pressure plate.

Thing is I can't find the thread here that talks about the best replacement aftermarket clutch stuff and I need to order ASAP if I want to take advantage of the no extra labor charge for these parts since things are already apart.

TIA
Old 03-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Technical Moderator

Just curious, how do you kill transmissions that fast? I can't think of ever hearing about a standard transmission breaking except after MANY miles.

Generally speaking "the best" is going to get a million different answers and usually boils down to "the one you bought". But, not many clutch replacement threads that I remember.

Check out our "supporting vendors". https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/supporting-vendors-25/
Old 03-05-2014, 12:10 PM

LONG LONG story short, the first servicing dealer really screwed up and caused LOTS of problems. Second dealer is trying to work with me but my extended warranty is up so even though trans is in 12 month 12,000 and they put in a new one, with new linkage (misadjusted of course) and now the salve cylinder went, why it wasn't changed during the 3 other times the trans was out is beyond me.

I got a clutch and pressure plate ordered but having problems getting a flywheel. The stock flywheel price is $713!!!!!! Insane!!!

I hear get an LSJ supercharged flywheel, they are the same but other places say they are close but not exactly the same. Spec makes a flywheel but I can't get any answer on when I can get one shipped. (Need it fast since dealer has car apart and will install as long as I can get it to him)

Sigh... Royal PITA!
Been buying Chevys all my life, close to a million dollars between wife, myself and our son. This is leaving a real bad taste in my mouth. May be the last GM product.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Technical Moderator

I seem to remember somebody quoting flywheels under $100.

I got 517 hits on "flywheel" in the SEARCH box.