SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

HHR SS airbags went off, no accident, no rollover

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 PM

bartSS. Not sure what you are implying here, sure hope you are not saying that I've left something out to sway this story my way, that would be very not cool. I've stated everything that's happened to date, no hidden info or agenda.

Gas Man. I hear you. As I mentioned earlier in the post, I've hired a lawyer in the past to go after another car company, 1 year of mental anguish waiting for a decision and at the end of the day, nothing in my pocket.

Bottom line is that the car's sensors and on board computers said the car was seeing a rollover event, call it mechanical defect, fate, stars aligning, whatever.

So in the end, I would need to hire a lawyer that has the resources (meaning hire a big $ consultant) to disprove the data / analyze the car / research similar issues. How long is that going to take, I don't care to find out. How much would I ask for? After doing some checking, the amount of money required to get this type of research done can approach 6 figure territory, I can't see any lawyer signing up for $100,000 of legal fees for a $3200 repair bill.

It has been 2 months as of today. This thing has caused a great deal of stress on me and my family.

I'm done.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by hodor
bartSS. Not sure what you are implying here, sure hope you are not saying that I've left something out to sway this story my way, that would be very not cool. I've stated everything that's happened to date, no hidden info or agenda.

Gas Man. I hear you. As I mentioned earlier in the post, I've hired a lawyer in the past to go after another car company, 1 year of mental anguish waiting for a decision and at the end of the day, nothing in my pocket.

Bottom line is that the car's sensors and on board computers said the car was seeing a rollover event, call it mechanical defect, fate, stars aligning, whatever.

So in the end, I would need to hire a lawyer that has the resources (meaning hire a big $ consultant) to disprove the data / analyze the car / research similar issues. How long is that going to take, I don't care to find out. How much would I ask for? After doing some checking, the amount of money required to get this type of research done can approach 6 figure territory, I can't see any lawyer signing up for $100,000 of legal fees for a $3200 repair bill.

It has been 2 months as of today. This thing has caused a great deal of stress on me and my family.

I'm done.
You have done all you can and it just comes down to just getting it fixed and move on.

As for the car I was just one of those freak things and I would not be affraid of it again. It is not like these are all doing this. Dumping the car will just cost you even more money and just give someone else a good buy.

I got run off the road 3 days after picking up my SS. I could have filed suit with the other guy and sold my car but I did not. I was lucky as he did have insurance and I got my car back as good or better condition than it was new.

The more I have read and seen the video I think it was just one of those things where you were under an extreme condition that just set the sensor off.

For the most part I think you did this the only real way possible. The only thing I feel is a over reaction is dumping the car unles you can make a good deal on it.

$hit happens in life and how you deal with is what counts. I think you did ok for the most part.

The only thing that gets to me is how the Insurance will not cover the air bag. I can understand GM's side but for the insurance not to cover the bag is unexcusable. This is what you pay them to cover. You would have been better off to tell them you went into the ditch and it was an accident.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6

The only thing that gets to me is how the Insurance will not cover the air bag. I can understand GM's side but for the insurance not to cover the bag is unexcusable. This is what you pay them to cover. You would have been better off to tell them you went into the ditch and it was an accident.
This kinda bothers me as well. I mean if i want to take a chainsaw to my hood, as long as I pay my deductible. USAA will fix it..... then drop me like a hot-potatoe, but they will fix it.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:29 PM

We'll see what I can get on the car, like I said, the dealer gave me a pretty good deal when I bought it and from what I can see, examples with much higher miles are going for much more. I am not planning on giving it away for sure.

State Farm has not provided any details in writing (only verbal) regarding what they will or will not cover. They also are still reviewing the black box data. As far as I'm concerned, I am going to tell my dealer to send the entire bill to them unless the dealer has received instructions otherwise.

Most of the parts came in by Monday and the dealer started work already, should have it back soon.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:25 PM

Yikes.... what a story... that corner did not look all that bad. Makes on really wonder about GM and their vehicles.... Can't wait for the 2012 Focus ST to come out... I think a new vehicle will be in my future...

I would not have let the dealership do the work. Since it wasn't covered anyway, I would have taken it elsewhere.... screw GM if they pull that garbage.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:24 PM

Consider this example. If the engine threw a rod, and it were to shoot out through the hood, would your COLLISION or THEFT insurance pay for it? If you consider this a mechanical failure that did not result in a collision, they won't cover it. In this case, GM says "the vehicle performed as designed", and I'm quite sure that this is not one of the covered losses in the policy.

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
This kinda bothers me as well. I mean if i want to take a chainsaw to my hood, as long as I pay my deductible. USAA will fix it..... then drop me like a hot-potatoe, but they will fix it.
I'm also quite sure that intentional damage is specifically excluded.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe
Yikes.... what a story... that corner did not look all that bad. Makes on really wonder about GM and their vehicles.... Can't wait for the 2012 Focus ST to come out... I think a new vehicle will be in my future...

I would not have let the dealership do the work. Since it wasn't covered anyway, I would have taken it elsewhere.... screw GM if they pull that garbage.
Don't get so overly dramatic, This is not a common thing and can happen on any model car. This stuff happens but it is rare.

I can tell you nightmares issues on Ford products to. Not matter the brand or model this stuff happens to them all. So relax.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by chudlychudson
Consider this example. If the engine threw a rod, and it were to shoot out through the hood, would your COLLISION or THEFT insurance pay for it? If you consider this a mechanical failure that did not result in a collision, they won't cover it. In this case, GM says "the vehicle performed as designed", and I'm quite sure that this is not one of the covered losses in the policy.

I'm also quite sure that intentional damage is specifically excluded.
So in other words next time drive it into the ditch after it goes off?
Old 07-15-2011, 07:56 PM

So in other words next time drive it into the ditch after it goes off?
true, that was going through my head after I realized that I was going to get the run around, I should have just rolled it, at least the airbags were already deployed.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quick Reply: HHR SS airbags went off, no accident, no rollover