SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

How to replace SS thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 04:02 PM

How to replace SS thermostat

Has this procedure ever been documented anywhere? My search ability seems to be failing miserably. I found one video on Youtube, but half the engine was already out so getting there was simple. I can see it, but it's not clear if I loosen the bolts what I'll find or what pieces I'll need or what I have to do to be able to get my arm there to replace the thermostat and any gasket that's required or what it all looks like.

I assume it's the thermostat not opening fully as it warms up when the engine is idling and cools off when the RPM gets higher. Heater on or off doesn't seem to effect the results much. If you at a light and it gets to 210, running through first ger will drop it to 199 or so pretty quick, I assume from the cold water in the radiator getting to the sensor. The coolant was a bit low, took about a quart in the engine. I think there's still a bubble somewhere as if I pull the cap and warm it up I have to remove 3 or 4 ounces of fluid so it's doesn't spill. I assume that's an air bubble expanding under the heat. We drove it on the freeway last night about 20 miles including up and down a mile of reasonably steep grade but there was no space to add more coolant today.
Old 12-18-2022, 05:24 PM

I don't see anything in your post that warrants replacing the thermostat.

The only concern I have is that, even in these winter ambient temperatures, you're seeing 210* at a stop light. But that's not the fault of the thermostat.

Check out Oldblue's how-to on burping the cooling system. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...-system-60614/

If you really want to replace the thermostat, it's no big deal. I had to loosen the big hose clamp to get better access to one of the bolts, but did not have to remove the hose. Put some electrical tape on your universal joint, so you can better control where the socket is going.
Old 12-18-2022, 06:21 PM
Administrator

An ‘08 SS hmm , if it’s the original thermostat, then yes change it and the coolant ! Dexcool should be replaced every 5 years!
Only use an AC Delco 131-158 180 degree thermostat and 50/50 Dexcool

Old 12-18-2022, 09:42 PM

Just 2 bolts, remove them remove old t-stat replace with AC Delco 131-158 replace bolts. Real rocket science.
However, that is not the problem. The t-stats job is to keep the temp above 180F, not cooler. If it was a quart low you got other problems.
Old 12-20-2022, 06:30 AM

Sounds like maybe your radiator fan isn’t working.
Old 12-20-2022, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by lazaino
Has this procedure ever been documented anywhere? My search ability seems to be failing miserably. I found one video on Youtube, but half the engine was already out so getting there was simple. I can see it, but it's not clear if I loosen the bolts what I'll find or what pieces I'll need or what I have to do to be able to get my arm there to replace the thermostat and any gasket that's required or what it all looks like.

I assume it's the thermostat not opening fully as it warms up when the engine is idling and cools off when the RPM gets higher. Heater on or off doesn't seem to effect the results much. If you at a light and it gets to 210, running through first ger will drop it to 199 or so pretty quick, I assume from the cold water in the radiator getting to the sensor. The coolant was a bit low, took about a quart in the engine. I think there's still a bubble somewhere as if I pull the cap and warm it up I have to remove 3 or 4 ounces of fluid so it's doesn't spill. I assume that's an air bubble expanding under the heat. We drove it on the freeway last night about 20 miles including up and down a mile of reasonably steep grade but there was no space to add more coolant today.
Why was the coolant low? No leaking?
BTW I do not see any reason to replace the thermostat.
Old 12-20-2022, 05:45 PM

And then there's the unexpected twist. Decided I didn't want to do is so I took it next door to the auto shop. They decided there was nothing wrong but the digital gauge is reading high, but the analog one works fine. Weird, are there two water temperature sensors?
Old 12-20-2022, 06:22 PM

Why do they think the digital readout is incorrect? What you're calling analog is actually not analog, and is well documented to be unreliable.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:16 PM

Well, when it read hot, a scanner said it was normal which should really make no sense, but I don't know how the dash gets it's info.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

From the Temperature Sending Unit.

FYI. You stated it got to 210 F.
That’s not running hot.
210 is well within the normal range.

Quick Reply: How to replace SS thermostat