SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

New engine break-in?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 01:35 PM

New engine break-in?

I just read another post where an SS owner had an engine replaced, and there were some comments about not taking it on a long trip until the engine break in period was over.

What IS the official word from GM regarding operation of a vehicle with a new engine? Does this also apply to new vehicles straight off the lot? I say this because I just bought a new SS with 4 miles on the odometer, and there was NO mention from anyone about breaking in the engine before operating it normally.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Founding Member

From your owners manual

New Vehicle Break-In
Notice: The vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if you follow these guidelines:

• Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or slow, for the first 500 miles (805 km). Do not make full-throttle starts. Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle.

• Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles (322 km) or so. During this time the new brake linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new linings can mean premature wear and earlier replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline every time you get new brake linings.

• Do not tow a trailer during break-in. See Towing a Trailer for the trailer towing capabilities of your vehicle and more information.

Following break-in, engine speed and load can be gradually increased.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:45 PM

With tolerances so tight, there is no "break in" for new vehicles. They don't use break in oil for them anymore. Not sure about a new crate motor though.

Now a rebuilt motor, something different.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:50 PM

That was me you are refering to.

Just as Manager said...

I would also like to add. No extended idle times. Further, don't lag the motor, this is actually worse than redline hits.

Do you hear the underline words?

Vary your RPM and speeds. So don't use your cruise control for extended time.

I have a 8hr highway trip coming with a motor with less than 500 miles on it. Not worth me taking the new motor.

Further I have always said... and the mechanic & service writter agree. Drive it during break in like you will for it's life. If you drive it hard, then drive it hard. I'm not saying beat on it, but don't baby it.

But this is one of those classic debates.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gas Man

But this is one of those classic debates.
Right. Lots of opinions, but was looking for GM's 'official' stance on the issue - if they actually have one :)
Old 10-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member

I would STRONGLY suggest to READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL and pay attention to post #2........for GM's OFFICIAL "stance".
Old 10-05-2010, 03:20 PM

Further, bottom line, most people never give it a second thought. And besides the rare cases like mine, you'll never have a problem.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:27 PM

Drive it like you stole it. "Moon"
Old 10-05-2010, 06:14 PM

Lots of opinions but what GM post in the manual is all that matters.

It is pretty difficlut to mess up a new engine but it can be done. Just follow GM's simple guide lines and you will be fine.

As with many things on todays cars what applied 20 year go and before no longer applies.

Old habits fade slowly with some. It is a sign of not keeping up in a quickly changing automotive field.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by moonsign
Drive it like you stole it. "Moon"
Agreed

Quick Reply: New engine break-in?