SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

New Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

If I was planning on going 60 I would have bought a Soul.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
Sorry about that. When your putting you hard earned cash down for an IC system, the short question should be how much temperature drops at what rate of speed at a given ambient temperature. This would be the basis of comparison from one mfg to another.

For example, if it's 60F out and I'm going 60mph, how much does it cool? The stock unit can reduce air inlet temps as much as 212F, depending upon ambient temp and speed. I would think that mfgs put their best foot forward in all cases, but at least you have something to compare to see if you're getting your money's worth.
Well actually if you go to the link I posted and read through the thread, you will see a member did log temperatures going and out ofthe Treadstone IC unit.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
Well actually if you go to the link I posted and read through the thread, you will see a member did log temperatures going and out ofthe Treadstone IC unit.
I didn't catch the temps on the Cobalt thread, but it was 7 pages long and I didn't want to sift through all of the threads. On the main page, some of the info in the Cobalt thread seems to defy the laws of Psychometrics, but I don't want to start a debate here, because it is nothing crucial. The reduced coil sizing and fin count make alot of sense. Not so sure about coil efficiency loss % across the face, but the idea is accurate. Regardless, it seems to be a company that is passionate about performance, so that says a lot. Bottom line is that your selection is well thought out and that you will certainly see a performance gain with this product in any event. I personally would consider the Treadstone IC if I were replacing mine.

Here's something that might be interesting to some that may want to check it out. On a different but related subject, has anybody ever noticed boost gain in wet weather, specifically when water misting is introducted onto the surface of the H.E.? My company is experimenting with IEC (indirect evaporative cooling) for use with heat exchangers for mission critical (non automotive) applications and we are seeing a measurable gain of about 20-30F with misting water on an air to air heat exchanger (which is what we have in our HHR SS'). Have a look at you gauge next time and see if there is any difference.

The gain is calculated by a comparison of the delta between the ambient wet bulb temp and the dry bulb temp, both of which can be obtained off of your local weather station or weather channel. You subtract the wet bulb temp (always lower) from the dry bulb temp (always higher), then multiply the calc by the efficiency of the H.E.
Example: (86 degrees dry bulb - 66 degrees wet bulb) x .9 coil efficiency = 18 degrees temp drop.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:12 PM

Check this page if you're interested in what 87Silver said.

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced...yocooling.html
Old 02-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
I didn't catch the temps on the Cobalt thread, but it was 7 pages long and I didn't want to sift through all of the threads. On the main page, some of the info in the Cobalt thread seems to defy the laws of Psychometrics, but I don't want to start a debate here, because it is nothing crucial. The reduced coil sizing and fin count make alot of sense. Not so sure about coil efficiency loss % across the face, but the idea is accurate. Regardless, it seems to be a company that is passionate about performance, so that says a lot. Bottom line is that your selection is well thought out and that you will certainly see a performance gain with this product in any event. I personally would consider the Treadstone IC if I were replacing mine.

Here's something that might be interesting to some that may want to check it out. On a different but related subject, has anybody ever noticed boost gain in wet weather, specifically when water misting is introducted onto the surface of the H.E.? My company is experimenting with IEC (indirect evaporative cooling) for use with heat exchangers for mission critical (non automotive) applications and we are seeing a measurable gain of about 20-30F with misting water on an air to air heat exchanger (which is what we have in our HHR SS'). Have a look at you gauge next time and see if there is any difference.

The gain is calculated by a comparison of the delta between the ambient wet bulb temp and the dry bulb temp, both of which can be obtained off of your local weather station or weather channel. You subtract the wet bulb temp (always lower) from the dry bulb temp (always higher), then multiply the calc by the efficiency of the H.E.
Example: (86 degrees dry bulb - 66 degrees wet bulb) x .9 coil efficiency = 18 degrees temp drop.
Page 7 post #161
Old 02-27-2011, 01:32 PM

here's my new Performance AutoWerks Street Intercooler

because it's originally designed for the Cobalt SS Turbo the "werks" stencile is a bit low, i've informed them of this and if any other HHR SS guys order it they'll be sure to more the stencile up.... if you want it that is. i honestly don't mind it and may end up removing it at some point.

Originally Posted by OVRBOOST
Werks?
www.performanceautowerks.com

the intercooler i have is under the Cobalt section, but works for the HHR SS. I've informed them so maybe they'll change their website and put it in the HHR SS section.

Originally Posted by 09 Silver Bullett
There may be a problem with the ZZP IC, it does hang down farther than any other. Not sure if it will fit above the lower piece of the front cover, Don't know anything about Treadstone's. MPX looks pretty good, don't really care for the way they manufactured the mounting brackets. Dejon is nice but pricey.
ZZP...... 4" thick...... absolutely NO reason to run it on a stock k04. you'd have to have a giant turbo to need that big of an intercooler.

MPx..... the stock intercooler has more cooling bars.

Treadstone.... seems to be a legit factory replacement.

Werks..... i personally have their Street Intercooler and love it. it's the perfect size for those that are pushing the stock k04 or going with a slight upgrade like the BNR 2860 or 2871.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Nice or should I say COOL MAN, think I'll paint ZOOM on mine
Old 02-27-2011, 05:32 PM

provided that my tax return gets here monday was supposed to have it friday I am in on the group buy with treadstone. I am getting the tr12...yeah I know it's big, but I plan on upgrading the turbo, may even go bigger than the bnr 2871, and bigger is better right? that's what she said No really, the pressure drop on the tr8 is like 1 psi and on the tr12 its 1.5psi so there's really not a difference there and I don't think it will effect spool very much so I guess we will see

I really don't know much about treadstone other than running across them in a google search a couple months ago, but their products certainly seem to be quality pieces and that seems to be the case with the guys on the cobalt forums who have any of their parts. I do like the fact that the inlet on the end tank has a diverter in it to route air to the top of the intercooler, that to me is going the extra mile to make sure that you are using it's full efficiency.

anywho If the tax thing works out mine will be ordered tomorrow, as all orders have to be placed by tomorrow for the group buy, buy if I don't get in on this one, they should have another one following it so either way for the price, I don't think anyone can go wrong with the Treadstone. I will update when I get it.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:26 PM

How did the Werks mount? Like factory? I just smacked a racoon at around 60 mph and will be getting my car fixed in a week or so. If I can find an intercooler that fits exactly right, I will upgrade. I don't want the body shop to have to adjust too much, they may not be as particular as I would be. It looks like the dejon should fit exact.

thx
Old 03-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by OVRBOOST
How did the Werks mount? Like factory? I just smacked a racoon at around 60 mph and will be getting my car fixed in a week or so. If I can find an intercooler that fits exactly right, I will upgrade. I don't want the body shop to have to adjust too much, they may not be as particular as I would be. It looks like the dejon should fit exact.

thx
Mounts like the original

Quick Reply: New Intercooler