SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

New parts, new problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:27 PM

New parts, new problems.

I installed new HAHN IC piping & IC yesterday. I took it for a test drive, once complete, and this is how it went. I should probably mention that I have the GM performance tune with the new (different) TMAP sensors w/ auto tranny.

I allowed it to warm up (165 or so), then gave it some throttle once in second gear. I saw 10lbs, then lost all of it. Key cycle brought it back... so I head back 2 the house and tightened all the claps (opted for the upgraded claps, just made since). Took it for another spin and only got 8psi. The clamps are all flat on the silicon couplings, and tight as hell. before installing the new parts, I was seeing 15-19psi...

What am I doing wrong? Will the couplings seal better after a couple heat cycles?

My arms are all shredded from the lack of man room in the front of my lil cuttie, but i'm still smiling. Please shoot me some solid guidance. Thanks.

Forgot 2 mention there is about a 1/8" gap at the top of the coupling going to the intake (not quite all the way up there the factory clap was). I got pretty anal about halfway thru and made sure the couplings were evenly divided where they met (3" coupling, so 1.5 for each side)....try not 2 judge.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:07 PM

I would go from A to B and check all your clamps. I just did this mod this past 3 days. from the turbo outlet to the intake manifold, check every clamp.

BTW with the bumper off, and radiator loosened up, this project is a lot easier. Not sure how you did it
Old 01-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Premium Member

Did you reuse the stock clamp at the turbo, don't count on the tension of the spring holding the boost, torque it completely solid tight, or it will pop off. Did you use T-bolt clamps ???
Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 PM

I did remove the upper radiator mounts as well as the hood latch to get at the throttlebody. That is my only area of concern. The coupling isn't deadheaded on the throttlebody, but it's definately tight. I will certainly retighten all the claps (yes, the t-style) before I test drive it again and put it back together. I just wanted to be sure. Thanks guys.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:24 AM

Ok, so what are the odds of an internal leak in the intercooler, or a blown intake/throttle body gasket? I tightened the clamps so much that I broke 2 of them. They are definately tight. The couplings are in the right places now, and i'm still loosing boost. any guesses?
Old 01-27-2013, 02:34 PM

Not likely anything happened to the intercooler (it worked before) unless.....you tweaked the end caps and caused a crack while installing new tubes. Rule of thumb, if all was well before, then its something you had your hands on is causing it. I would recheck the 2 sensors that were disturbed, since it was dealer installed may want to check one of the harnesses didnt come apart. Many complaints of dealer installs that were half=assed. May want to recheck turbo area as you may have something that was bumped with the tight space back there.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:20 PM

K, well thing is I installed the cooler & tubes 2gether. The factory parts were working but I was getting occational pressure loss, so I decided to go aftermarket. The factory components were failing (replaced 2 ICs after installing the GM Performance tune), but I gotta belive it is something did/am doing. I just don't know how to correct it.

couplings are tight, replaced factory mod where the lower TMAP was grounding on the a/c compressor, everything looks good to me. What could I be missing?

maybe the rigid upper mount to reduce mill movement? I'm totally stumped. I've redone everything this weekend after the original attempt last weekend.

Could there be enough leakage at the barbed fitting to the waistgate(?)? It's there but I used locktight insted of teflon tape....
Old 01-27-2013, 05:24 PM

also, i only disturbed 1 sensor...the lower map sensor and the barbed dung plug? did i miss/forget something?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:54 PM

For grins Id try pulling the ECM fuses and clearing all memory and allow it to relearn its parameters..if not done, then maybe the ecm is trying to compare whats already there to whats new and they dont match causing a conflict..if it doesnt clear, it may at least give you a new clue. Have you soap bubbled your connections yet? Bubbles = air leak,
Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 PM

I will try pullin the fuses and no I haven't tried the soap bubbles...I had a problem on my grand national a couple years ago. I had trouble getting everything cleaned up afterword and ended up with corrosion/pitting everywhere. I'm livin with what I have for now; drivable but not nearly as fun...I'll get back under the hood next weekend if I can stand to wait that long.

Quick Reply: New parts, new problems.