SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

No Boost, LIMP Mode no Check Engine Light??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by russruth
Since most new cars are as computer dependent as they are hardware specific, you'd think if you bought something like a K+N filter it would come with a software upgrade to match.

That's the way our computers run. If we add an editing suite, we get the software and the manufacturer has a firmware update to make it all work.

It's almost laughable that I can buy a $300 Iphone or $800 Ipad and get 1 million different apps that do everything from change the device to a gps unit, a movie camera, or a networking video chat system. All 3rd party, all manufacturer approved.

For some reason the car companies have no interest in this, which would be fine if they would make certified upgrades that would achieve the same results. Instead they stick with proprietary systems in performance and use. Try to find an app for Ford's sync, or for on-star to customize it to your liking.

Put a K+N on and you do so at your own risk and I love their product. I added just the filter and went from 22 lbs of boost on my HHRSS to 27 lbs, Hell of a cheap upgrade.

I somehow have the feeling that in a few years, with government regulations and the proprietary stance most car companies have, that all you'll ever be able to adjust or change on your car is the seat position.

Of the younger kids I hire, the ones that are gear heads, none have any real desire to mod their cars. Most of them love unique cars and own mostly German, but given their way, they'd all buy a M-3, or AMG way before they'd buy a CTS-V or a Shelby Mustang.

I've always loved high strung 4 cyl. cars with utility and hence the reason I think the HHR is unique. I just wish chevrolet had followed Mini-Cooper's lead and constantly upgraded the brand with owner specific customization.

We hear that retro is dead, but looking at the number of mini's I see on the street, I really believe that modernizing and upgrading the HHR could have been a profitable halo brand for Chevrolet, rather than a one off.

Then again, I don't run a car company.

IMO
First the Computer issue. The MFG's don't want you messing or anyone messing with them. There is a lot involved warranty and emissions wise. IF thew EPA found they helped someone get passed a EPA standard the fines would be great.

The fact is changing cars are easy with a dyno and a good tuner as you can get into a computer and do a lot of good. The fact is you just need to really know what you are doing or you can screw it up with a mistake. That is not really a lot different than changing reqular parts if you are clueless. The fact is there are just things that need to be learned and many people just don't understrand a lot of the new technoloy yet.

The AMG and M issue is more image. They are the cool in trendy cars right now and many who buy them never even drive them to the level they could be driven. I see that all the time here.

Retro is on the way out or gone for the most part. The fact is the Mini gets a pass because of one thing it is a cool car and many don'[t know or really care about the original car. To be honest the original car was pretty crappy and basic. Today's mini is a lot better even with some of the quality issues. I love the present car but I would never want the original. Many Beetle owners today would never be caught dead in the orginal bug. Now on the other hand most Camaro and Mustang owners would be happy to off their present Camaro for a 69 Z28.

I agree the HHR could have easily lived on but I see it in more than just retro. The fact was it was a good sized vehicle at a great price and was a great value. The retro was not as much a factor as the fact it was a good buy. The fact that it looked different did not hurt either. THe Soul is a great example of this formula too and it is anything but Retro.

I work with many HHR owners and most bought used HHR's to replace the Hyundai's they had issues with. They were ok with the looks but much better with the pric, quality and MPG. Yes I said qulity as it is still better than what they had.

Either way the computers are like pandora'a box and while opening them can do a lot of good the damage that could be done is also great. This is why they are making nearly every one reverse engineer them.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:34 PM

This thread is just a reminder to me that I will NEVER run oil filters on cars with a PCM. Dry filters ftw
Old 03-07-2012, 10:46 PM

Most people that drive a Mini might not know what the original looked like, but neither do most people that drive an HHR know what an old Surburban looked like either.

It's not the remake of the car, it's the continual look of the brand.

BMW's look like BMWs. Merc's look like Mercs, etc. etc., but Mini was smart because they built a quality car and allowed a whole list of style customized options.

They knew how to turn the car into a fashion statement as well as a small sporty car and one of the reasons the mini does well is it's unique. To some it's polarizing, to others it's their kind of car.

This is where GM has always dropped the ball They make a Camaro, then don't, then do, then don't. Until the present camaro none the previous one's had nothing in common with the originals.

Same with a lot of other cars they get just about right, then drop them.

It doesn't matter the SS and HHR and dead as Fred and GM never goes back until it's too late.

The SS has it's problems, sometimes way too many, but it has a loyal following and though I don't think it would have become a classic, with better materials, more advertising, more options and cusotmization, it could have really been the halo car GM needs today.

After all 2 litre's 28mpg and 300 hp in a vehicle with utility is a heck of a good idea.

Dodge did the same thing with the Magnum and one guy killed that off . . . one guy and the magnum probably has the most loyal buyers of any modern chrysler product.

As far as 3rd party software upgrades if GM would stop acting like a government agency and wake up to the 21st century they'd realize that they're is not only money to be made in offering 3rd party changes (apps), but also add to the usability of their vehicles.

How about an on-star blue tooth upgrade, or a new less surge turbo fix, or different levels of competition modes. Would they piss off the EPA , not if they approved them and it can't be any harder than Apple and Android approving 1 million apps for their devices.

And don't think the EPA is any tougher than the FCC and the other 10 government agencies that control the airwave and cell phone distribution and use.

IMO

Originally Posted by hyperv6
First the Computer issue. The MFG's don't want you messing or anyone messing with them. There is a lot involved warranty and emissions wise. IF thew EPA found they helped someone get passed a EPA standard the fines would be great.

The fact is changing cars are easy with a dyno and a good tuner as you can get into a computer and do a lot of good. The fact is you just need to really know what you are doing or you can screw it up with a mistake. That is not really a lot different than changing reqular parts if you are clueless. The fact is there are just things that need to be learned and many people just don't understrand a lot of the new technoloy yet.

The AMG and M issue is more image. They are the cool in trendy cars right now and many who buy them never even drive them to the level they could be driven. I see that all the time here.

Retro is on the way out or gone for the most part. The fact is the Mini gets a pass because of one thing it is a cool car and many don'[t know or really care about the original car. To be honest the original car was pretty crappy and basic. Today's mini is a lot better even with some of the quality issues. I love the present car but I would never want the original. Many Beetle owners today would never be caught dead in the orginal bug. Now on the other hand most Camaro and Mustang owners would be happy to off their present Camaro for a 69 Z28.

I agree the HHR could have easily lived on but I see it in more than just retro. The fact was it was a good sized vehicle at a great price and was a great value. The retro was not as much a factor as the fact it was a good buy. The fact that it looked different did not hurt either. THe Soul is a great example of this formula too and it is anything but Retro.

I work with many HHR owners and most bought used HHR's to replace the Hyundai's they had issues with. They were ok with the looks but much better with the pric, quality and MPG. Yes I said qulity as it is still better than what they had.

Either way the computers are like pandora'a box and while opening them can do a lot of good the damage that could be done is also great. This is why they are making nearly every one reverse engineer them.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:45 AM

I guess some have problems with a K&N filter and some don't.
I have a SS and a fabbed, hood scoop fed CAI, first with a stock filter, and now with a K&N/AEM, lot bigger filter ,than requires no oiling.
I have run with no lid on, stock filter removed, and other combos, including my present setup, and I have yet to see a CEL, or any other problem. I am Trifecta tuned by the way.
I kinda think that just maybe the oil in a reg. K&N filter, might be the cause of some of the problems. Stock filter has no oil, or the filter I'm runing also has no oil, and maybe thats why I've not had any issues.
I would think a good tune would cure any of these problems. "Moon"