SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

P0016 / Boost / Overheat - Help A Girl Out!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 04:44 PM

P0016 / Boost / Overheat - Help A Girl Out!!

So I'm mechanically inclined... But certainly not a mechanic. A good grasp and I'm not afraid to try. And try again...

I'm the second owner. Assuming everything is stock on my manual 2010 SS.

Here are the symptoms and when they started:

#1 - No issues until first oil change (10k - full synthetic). Temp gauge normally sits at 90-94 now climbs to 120 and then returns to normal. Is affected by the heat/cool setting. Returns to normal quicker if the climate control is off and temp is set to middle. Assume the oil change place topped off the other fluids including the rad. "Burped" the rad and it ran normal until it began to leak from a hose/valve close to the firewall. Had a mechanic fix it and pressure test. All good. Now I'm experiencing the same issue, only much more frequently. Ran the engine without the rad cap - saw some air bubbling up. Let the compressor cycle a couple of times. Topped off the overflow. Still getting that crazy up/down with the temp...

I have a new thermostat which I'll try first since it's cheap and cheerful. Once I change the stat, is there anything else I should do to get any remaining air out of the system, if any?

#2 - Boost! Gas prices in Canada are BRUTAL!!! Close to $7.50 a gallon for my American friends... I had half a tank and I saw a Shell station that had just dropped its price so I filled it up. And so begins my Boost Nightmare. On my way home I lost all boost. Fuel pressure remained constant but there was just no power. Put in some gas line antifreeze and got intermittent boost. Ran down that tank and added gas treatment to the next few tanks (high test - half full each time). Restored boost, for the most part. Every once and a while it cuts out but comes back quickly. Still frustrating...

#3 - P0016 -Camshaft/Crankshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor A). The symptoms are many... There is a click - like a relay struggling to kick in. The click is not consistent - sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes it's almost got a funky disco beat. The compressor seems to struggle and the a/c is intermittently cold, (possibly related to the rad/thermostat and not P0016 but worth mentioning), and the shifting has become ridiculously stiff, which seemed to happen over night. The code comes as regular and pending.

I have the following parts to change out: Camshaft Position Sensor, Crankshaft Sensor and Intake/Exhaust Camshaft Solenoids. The more I read here, the more hesitant I am to change these. The physical replacement of these parts seems straight forward enough. My questions are:

Should I do change these parts in a specific order?

Do I need to change and relearn each part one at a time, or can I change them all and relearn all at the same time?

What is the "relearning procedure" step by step? (Or is there a tutorial??)

Any info/insight regarding any of these issues is infinitely appreciated!!!

Read an awesome solenoid tutorial here:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...13-14-a-28779/

-Paula
Old 08-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Technical Moderator

The P0016 will cause all kind of seemingly unrelated problems like hard shifting etc. It does not mean that sensors are bad, it means that they are doing their job; telling you to get a new timing set. The ticking is your timing chain slapping. Get it fixed before the engine grenades.

I think in F I am assuming your temps are C. They should be 82-88C under normal cruising when it gets to 120C PARK it. Heat setting should not affect much, BUT the AC causes the cooling fan to run. Get ONLY a GM 131-158 or you will be disappointed.

The t-stat has very little to do with overheating, it's job is to keep the temp over 82C. You need to find that leak and fix it.

I think the website software is flagging your sig picture or the 3 letter word, you may need to change it. The software is a real puritan! It won't let us use the name of the radiator drain male chicken. That's the only reason I can figure that this thread was set as "moderated.

If you need a Owner Manual follow the link in my sig for a digital copy.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, the P0016 code means the timing chain is slack and has skipped a tooth. Mostly caused by the front timing chain guide has broken.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:36 PM

Hi Paula, to the forums!!

Like the others here said, your first to-do is the timing set. This might also be causing the overheating, and the boost issues.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:50 AM
Platinum Member

Just a FYI. (for Donbrew also)
The hard shifting is probably not related to any of your other issues since this car is a 5 speed manual.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:40 AM

How many miles on your SS?
Old 08-16-2018, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

Hmmm. Hasn't bothered to come back to their own thread.