SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Possible bad 2.0 engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:45 AM

Question Possible bad 2.0 engine

Hello all, last week I noticed that coolant was slowly disappearing. after pressure testing the coolant system no leaks were found and the leak got wayyy worse right after I tested it. I inspected the spark plugs, pressure tested cylinders, and inspected the water pump. Everything looked to be good. Only conclusions I had were a crack in the engine casting or a head gasket. after running dye through the system and being unable to pinpoint a crack/seep I opted for a head gasket. I spent a great amount of money on parts and time on the repair to replace the head gasket. (easy but time consuming job with out a car lift) Today was the first day I drove it and the coolant went down about a quart in 17 miles. Looks like the worst of the two possibilities. Also replaced the shift cable.

***Does anyone know anyone know how to approach this situation with GM? I feel a defect in the block is not a mechanical or a wear failure and GM should take care of it. I heard there were problems with this engine and I found some older posts.

Also, replaced the shift cables. (that was not a fun job), timing chain, chain guides, ect.
When I first purchased the car, GM repainted the car because bugs were causing chips and it was deemed that the paint was not mixed and applied properly at the factory. (That was a first)

2008 HHR SS, Manual, 75,000K
Old 10-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Banned

Welcome! Sorry to hear about your block! That sucks, big time.

As for approaching GM. If you are handy enough, I would probably just pony up for a new block yourself, and install it if you have all the right tools.

As much as I would like to tell you that contacting GM about it would do anything, with it being outside of Warranty (guessing you didn't get an extended warranty), then I don't think they will likely do anything.

Brand New 2007-2010 LNF Series 4cyl Motor.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:48 AM

Hi mrkgp,

We’d like to look further into your concern. Please feel free to send is a private message in reference to this thread along with your VIN for further assistance. We apologize for the frustration that this situation might have caused. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-21-2014, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Please keep us posted with Kristin's reply!
Old 10-21-2014, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

mrkgp: There have been some articles written about the early HHR SS's and block problems. You might try a Google search using the terms LNF(the SS engine) and porosity(sp. ?).
I have read several of these articles and it's seems there were some problems with the casting process of the earlier 2.0 engine blocks. The debate is if it's a porosity issue or a design flaw that causes a weak spot between the cylinders.

If nothing else, at least read up on it and it may give you some "ammo" if you decide to try to get GM to do a goodwill warranty for you.
Good Luck.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

This thread is CLOSED!!!!!!

Sorry mrkgp that this thread got totally hijacked by a couple individuals that vented their opinions on another member (CCS).

Keep is posted on the status of your problems with the 2.0 if you can. I think many of us are of the opinion that even with the age of the vehicle, it would be "nice" of GM to follow through with some sort of compensation if it turns out to be an inherent problem with that year of the engine.