Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Engine temp indications after inadvertent engine shut-off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 06:58 AM

Engine temp indications after inadvertent engine shut-off while driving

This morning, as I began my drive to work, (having driven perhaps 1/4 mile) I reached forward to the dashboard and bumped the key with my hand, inadvertently shutting the engine off as I was driving. since the car is an automatic ('06 LS 2.4) I couldn't simply turn the key back on and bump it going again, and so stopped, put the car in park and restarted.

since then, though, the temp gage has not functioned, and the digital readout shows no value (the infamous "---").

I've done a search already, and found all the info about faulty thermostats, but given that this happened right afte this mishap with the ignition key, I don't think the thermostat has anyting to do with it, rather perhaps all I need to to is reboot the ECU by disconnecting the battery. I have also read that theres afuse that can be pulled nearby the battery which will perform the same function as disconnecting the batery cable.

if I follow this course, will the radio need to be reprogrammed, or have a code enterered to make it function? this has been the case on another car or two I've owned over the last few years.

Thanks

Robb
Old 01-15-2014, 07:26 AM
Technical Moderator

You could have put it into neutral.
Is there a CEL illuminated?
I would try disconnecting the negative battery post first. It won't hurt anything and might fix it. There is a maxi fuse mounted at the ground lug next to the battery, it has worked for me others say it does not do the same thing.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 AM

Hi Don, no, there's no CEL showing. I'll take a look at things this lunchtime. don't have any tools with me here, but I can mess with it tonight at home.

Almost forgot, does disconnecting the battery have any effect on remote function? As in, the remote not working after battery disconnect/reconnect...
Old 01-15-2014, 09:33 AM
Administrator

the remote will still function as it did before you disconnected the negative terminal on the battery, you may need to reset time on your radio but you should not have to reset the presets, the equalizer on my Pioneer factory radio had to be reset, but other than that you will be just fine.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:24 AM

Kewl, Thanks!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:30 AM
Administrator

disconnect only the negative cable at the battery, (good excuse to clean out the spare tire well) leave it disconnected about 30 minutes to allow the BCM to fully reset.