Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Speakers not working after servicing at dealership.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:20 PM

Speakers not working after servicing at dealership.

Hello everyone, hope you have had a great day!

I have a 2009 HHR. Today I took it to the dealership because it had started surging and also because the passenger air bag needed service. So, I got all that fixed. As I left the dealership I turned on my radio and to my surprise there was only one speaker working. I called the service man back and told him what was wrong....that they had all worked when I brought it in. He asked me to bring it back, so I turned around and did. I was told that nothing they did would have messed up the speakers. Anyone ever heard of such a thing happening after such a service was done?

Thanks in advance,
Terry

Last edited by brazelle; 01-14-2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 PM

I had problems of my own with my HHR radio, that's what made me look for this forum in the first place. For me it turned out that the speakers just quit working in the HHR.

I replaced them with others then built speaker boxes for the original HHR speakers and still use them in my garage. I have never quite figured out why they stopped working while in the car. I did put a blast of WD-40 on the frogs of the speakers to get them working again but after just a few days in the car they stopped working again so I replaced them.

I have a big box of speakers in my garage to choose from and for a while I had some Bose speakers in the front doors. My wife complained about not having new speakers so I bought a set of 4 at Walmart to shut her up.

I had some left over plastic from when I built my router table and I cut that to fit in the big odd shaped holes GM uses for their speakers now. I tapped into the original speaker wires to put spade plugs on so I could leave the factory ends on the wires. Ya never know, I might sell the car someday and the new owner might just want to go factory original.

Your radio is probably just fine, its more than likely just the speakers.

You said you only had one speaker working when you left the dealership. Was it a tweeter in the windshield pillar?

On mine both of the tweeters worked but only one door speaker was working. At first I thought maybe my kid had been messing with my settings. It didn't take long to figure out everything was still set the way I had it.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:27 AM

Welcome to the site I agree it seem that speaker failure is not uncommon in our hhr's
Old 01-15-2014, 06:36 AM
Deceased

to the forum Terry!

Both Grizzly and Lucky are correct, HHR speakers are a touch more failure prone than average, but I wouldn't let the dealership off the hook so easily.

Take it back and talk to the Service Manager, airbag servicing does involve working in or up under the dash, so it's not impossible that the tech jarred something loose.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, X2 on take it back to the dealership!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:11 PM

Hello brazelle,

Welcome to the site! Sorry to hear that you discovered this issue with your speaker. If there is anything we can do to try and assist with this situation, please feel free to private message us your contact information and VIN.

Thanks,

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care