SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Rear Caliper Parking Brake Srpings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 03:11 PM

Rear Caliper Parking Brake Srpings?

Parking break stopped holding on 08 HHR SS manual. Adjusted parking brake adjustment bolt until it held, however neither caliper wants to release when PB is released. We're able to open it manually by prying on the lever behind the caliper, it doesn't take much pressure at all, but I lubed it anyway. Still, pull the PB up, brakes clamp down, works fine. Release the PB, we can see on the caliper it releases slightly, but still a ton of drag on the wheels until we get in there and open it fully. Springs on both sides feel loose.
Has anyone heard of these springs getting worn and need to be replaced? If so, anyone know if they can be ordered without the whole damn caliper? I'm looking and can't find them, but it seems like a lot of the parts are discontinued for these cars.

I did install new rear pads about 1000 miles ago, but not sure why that would affect things.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Did you adjust the rear caliper ratchet properly when you changed the pads? Did you simply wind the piston ratchet in with the little cube?
Old 12-27-2020, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Did you adjust the rear caliper ratchet properly when you changed the pads? Did you simply wind the piston ratchet in with the little cube?
Hmm... Not sure what you're referring to... I simply popped the caliper off, bolts, used a caliper tool to compress the caliper piston, popped on the new pads and put the caliper back on... Is there something fancy I have to do on these cars?

It wouldn't surprise me but I'm gonna be so frustrated if I screwed something up...

​​​​​​PB seemed fine afterward, no issues until recently it just stopped having any resistance at all when we pulled it up.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:16 PM

I just used a standard compression tool, literally this thing right here, to compress the piston back into the caliper.
https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...00000043798748

Two bolts to remove caliper, use the tool above to compress the piston, pop in new pads and bolt the caliper back on.

Did I go and bugger something up?

The PB worked fine for a month afterwards, it's only the past week or two, it just stopped having any resistance when you pull it up. We checked the cables, they move and are strong, they're both in the bracket firmly....When I tightened the adjust bolt at the PB handle, the PB started to apply pressure, but now it won't let off very much unless we get under the car and manually move the lever on the caliper.

Is there something inside the piston I have to adjust that I missed?
Old 12-27-2020, 05:24 PM
Administrator

You should adjust the pads so they slip over the rotor, not just wind the piston all the way in.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
You should adjust the pads so they slip over the rotor, not just wind the piston all the way in.
Huh.. okay. I just did them the same way I've always done disc pads. Should I pop them out and unwind the piston or something? The brakes themselves work great, It's just the PB that's giving me fits now.

Thanks for helping with my all my dumb questions.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

You shouldn't use a compression tool to push the pistons in. The rear SS calipers are designed to be screwed in to retract the piston.
Did you bugger it up ? May have.
When I replaced my rear rotors and pads, I used a large pair of regular pliers to slip into the piston "X". Turned it to retract the piston just enough so the thicker new pads would slip in.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
You shouldn't use a compression tool to push the pistons in. The rear SS calipers are designed to be screwed in to retract the piston.
Did you bugger it up ? May have.
When I replaced my rear rotors and pads, I used a large pair of regular pliers to slip into the piston "X". Turned it to retract the piston just enough so the thicker new pads would slip in.
The good news is I'm pretty sure I did that. The two prongs at the end of the compression tool slipped into the X and as I turned the bolt, they turned, screwing the piston back in. It was extremely easy and didn't require any force at all. Still I'll pop the calipers off tomorrow and see if there's any adjustments I can make.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2020, 05:52 PM

Question: does the screwing of the caliper piston only affect the mechanical parking brake? Like, if I did damage the caliper by using the wrong tool, would it only damage the PB or would the hydraulic brakes be buggered too?
Old 12-27-2020, 05:53 PM

The correct tool is the little block tool.

Quick Reply: Rear Caliper Parking Brake Srpings?