SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Replaced Starter, HHR SS Still Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 10:06 AM

Replaced Starter, HHR SS Still Won't Start - UPDATE: Moved to Repairs Forum

Hello everyone,

I've run into an issue with my HHR; it will not start. I generally don't post a lot on the forums because I can usually find any answers to questions in previous threads...lots of good information and helpful people on this site! That being said, there are still a few things that I need to troubleshoot, yet, but, I wanted to start a thread that I'll update as I'm working on the car...because any help and support will be appreciated.

Anyway, here's where I'm at:
  • 2008 HHR SS, manual transmission, 52k miles, currently stock, all maintenance is up to date
  • Last week the starter was just clicking and wouldn't work; instead of checking things out first I just went and got a new starter and replaced the old one. I realize I should've checked a few things out first, but oh well. The car will still not start.
  • Here's what I plan to do next:
    • I'll be rechecking that I installed the starter correctly and that it's actually good
    • Checking relevant fuses and relays; I'm not as competent with electrical issues, so I'm afraid of missing something
    • Doing a load test on the battery, my car battery charger is telling me that my battery is okay, but I'm still going to take it out and get it tested
    • The test light will come out and I'll make sure that the starter is actually getting the charge it needs
    • The cables that connect to the starter didn't really look corroded at all so I don't know that its due to a bad connection

So yeah, that's where I'm at now. I've looked at some older threads that dealt with very similar issues and they've proven to be very insightful in helping determine a plan of action. But, like I said, I'm still going to update this thread as I go about trying to fix my SS in case folks are able to provide any help. If you have any suggestions or questions I will gladly accept any advice!

I'll be looking at the car again tonight (8/13) and will update late tonight or tomorrow. Thanks, everyone.

Last edited by SuperSam; 08-13-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: I posted my thread in the wrong forum...
Old 08-13-2018, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

One other thing to check.
The main positive battery cable connection at the fuse box. It goes straight from there to the starter. It is a known place to corrode and leave you with a bad connection.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:50 AM

I moved this post over from the technical discussion forum; I think I posted in the wrong one...sorry for the confusion!
Old 08-13-2018, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Fixed the multi thread and duplicate posts
Old 08-13-2018, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
One other thing to check.
The main positive battery cable connection at the fuse box. It goes straight from there to the starter. It is a known place to corrode and leave you with a bad connection.
I'll add that to the list and specifically check it. Will update on what I find tonight or tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:52 AM

Thank you. I don't post a lot...rookie mistake by me!
Old 08-13-2018, 11:08 AM
Technical Moderator

If it is clicking but not turning it is not getting enough power.

Should be more than 12V at the alternator, starter, fuse box at all times. And solenoid when triggered.
Could be the flywheel has ground teeth, try turning the engine manually a bit.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Could be the flywheel has ground teeth, try turning the engine manually a bit.
If it had ground teeth the first thing is you would hear is a noise of the mismatch of starter gear to flywheel teeth when starting it.. On inspection of the drive gear on the old starter you would see gear damage.The only way it could happen is if the starter was loose to where it mounts up to. A loose starter will cause a ground problem also.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:58 AM

The flywheel looked clean, as did the teeth on the old starter. When the problem first started the starter wasn't even turning over, unfortunately, and that is still the case.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:28 PM
Technical Moderator

Then there are only 2 thing I can think of; bad starter or bad voltage.

Quick Reply: Replaced Starter, HHR SS Still Won't Start