SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Replacing my Brembo calipers....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:28 PM

Replacing my Brembo calipers....

After many hours (over several attempts) fighting with the stupid pins in my Brembo calipers, I've decide to replace the calipers. Not only are the pins completely seized (PB Blast, MAP gas heat, 3lb hammer...no luck), but at least one caliper looks like it needs a rebuild anyway.

I can get the calipers, shipped, for $145 each. Should I replace the banjo bolts too? Does anyone have the correct part numbers for them and the copper washers? Anything else I should think about? Searching around, I've gotten a little confused and not all the online sources can tell the difference between Brembo/NonBrembo SS.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:02 AM

I'd replace the 4 washers on the banjo bolts but unless they're rusty or ugly the bolts themselves should never need replacing.

Ira
Old 09-18-2014, 07:18 AM

Four washers? On two calipers?
Old 09-18-2014, 12:14 PM

Cut the pins down the middle then cut them as short as you can on each side. Then heat a hammer and a punch. This way your breaking one pin at a time loose.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Shane H
Cut the pins down the middle then cut them as short as you can on each side. Then heat a hammer and a punch. This way your breaking one pin at a time loose.
Yeah, I considered that. There's a combination of problems going on....I don't have a great place to work, limited time to work and I need the car, looks like at least one caliper needs a rebuild. At this point either I take it to my trusted neighborhood mechanic and pay his rates, and likely end up replacing at least one caliper or I just get on with it and do the new calipers myself (I've already bought rotors, pads, and parts kit). The latter is cheaper and fits within the "can accomplish in one afternoon" time window.

After I get the whole job done, I'll try getting the pins out as I can, and offer the old calipers in the classifieds here.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:18 PM

BTW, in addition to PB blast and heat, my buddy held the punch with vice grips while I swung the three pound hammer. Completely flattened over one of the pins, flush to the caliper. The thing never budged. There's no way you should ever have to apply that sort of force to the vehicle for a simple repair like replacing brake pads. In my book, this qualifies as a really stupid design. In this case, on Brembo's part rather than GM's.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Technical Moderator

There's no way you should have been driving so long with rear brakes only. They did not freeze up yesterday!
Old 09-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member

Donbrew. He's referring to the pins that hold the pads in place. He did not go without front brakes.

Name:  030.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  34.9 KB
Old 09-18-2014, 05:36 PM
Technical Moderator

Oh, never mind.

I was thinking slide pins.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by FrugalAudio
Four washers? On two calipers?
Each banjo bolt needs 2 washers. One between the caliper and the banjo and one between the banjo and the bolt head.

Ira

Quick Reply: Replacing my Brembo calipers....